Can someone explain a)Search facility b) MVPs, Master

GorD

I have two questions,

a) How does the search facility work - does it search message text or just article titles - I searched for match +9.999999 and got no results. (does that answer my own question)

and

b)I just read an atricle on new MVPs (congratulations to you both) and as a relatively new (&hooked) user I would like to know (just out of interest) what all the classifications are, what they mean, who decides.

Not a very taxing excel question, but hey, its a slow night

GorD said:
I have two questions,

a) How does the search facility work - does it search message text or just article titles - I searched for match +9.999999 and got no results. (does that answer my own question)

and

b)I just read an atricle on new MVPs (congratulations to you both) and as a relatively new (&hooked) user I would like to know (just out of interest) what all the classifications are, what they mean, who decides.

Not a very taxing excel question, but hey, its a slow night

Well, let's see --

1] I believe the search tool has options where you can tell it what you want to search for -- on the right, below the search for what box. In the case you described, try a search on BigNum and match [might add and Aladin, as well].

2] Thank you. I don't think I'm the best qualified to answer about the MVP selection, as I'm new myself. As best I understand it, it involves a willingness to submit to blood oathes and coes with a secret handshake! :LOL:

Hi,

In this case when you're unsure of the exact text you would be better off using wildcards e.g. *+9.999999*. If you don't specify the wildcards then the search routine will just look for that word. When I use 'word' I mean that the search routine will expect there to be a space at the start and end of the string of characters. As an example:-

1) Searching for 'Outlook' will reveal many threads where the word 'Outlook' is found.
2) Searching for 'Outloo' will only reveal one post (where the subject has been truncated in a post).
3) Searching for '*Outlook*' will find all occurences where the string of characters Outlook appear. e.g. it would find 'Outlook', 'MSOutlook', 'MS Outlook10'.

Registered - 0 posts
Welcome to the Board - 1 to 5 posts
Board Regular - 6 to 99 posts
Board Master - 100+ posts. You get a star under your name for each 1000 posts you make!
MVP - more experienced contributors, with a good knowledge of the Excel product. The initial MVPs were based on contributions made to the very old board (the old WWW used pre Feb 02). Since then, most new MVPs have been nominated by existing ones.

dk said:
MVP - more experienced contributors, with a good knowledge of the Excel product. The initial MVPs were based on contributions made to the very old board (the old WWW used pre Feb 02). Since then, most new MVPs have been nominated by existing ones.

This isn't exactly true. I was nominated because every group needs a town idiot. I had previous experience that made me well-qualified.

phantom1975 said:
dk said:

This isn't exactly true. I was nominated because every group needs a town idiot. I had previous experience that made me well-qualified.

Look out, Phantom, there's a new idiot in town, and I'm coming for your job! :LOL:

and some of us poor fellows will always remain perennial board masters... boo hoo... sob sob... bitter bitter... :biggrin:

But you have a pretty little star! Does that count for naught?

;)

Edit: (good grief. How did I end up with that many posts?)

Board Master - 100+ posts. You get a star under your name for each 1000 posts you make!

Out of curiosity, is this always true, or is there some subjects to it? I know of at least one user who currently has over 2000 posts, but no stars...

Just curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjaimes042510

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back