Can I have formula that uses a cell with numeric value and text string?

onelane

I have a spread sheet that i use for job costing and estimating. I work in the concrete construction industry so i deal a lot with cubit yards and square and linear feet.

I have a cell that calculates the cubic yardage of a 4" thick slab at "x" square feet which is in another cell. We buy the concrete material by the yard but we charge by the square footage.

I want to be able to have a cell that says say "1500 Sq Ft" and a cell that says "$4.00". From this i want to be able to use just the 1500 times the $4.00 to equal $6000 in another cell. but i get error messages because of the text string "Sq Ft" in the first cell.

Is there a way to use this without separating into 2 cells, perhaps a way to take just the numeric part of the cell to be used in the formula?

Thanks
Aric

Thank you, the text wrap fixed it... this will be a big help! :)

Is there a similar way that i could enter say 8 as in 8" in another cell, and have it display as 8" but the cell value be .67? or do i have to always enter .67 and have it display as 8"? This would be handy for thicknesses over 1' where i have 16, 18, 28" instead of entering as 1.33, 1.5, 2.33, etc... if not, i can make this work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saeid025

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back