calculating distance between coordinates

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTBoy

i use a Trimble Total Station Survey equipment, This is used for suveying and measuring distances between points on jobs. These points can be exported onto the pc as a text file and imported onto excel, the file has a northing and easting to locate the point these are comma separated.

I would like to know if excell is capable of working out a distance betwen two of these such points by using the two pairs of northing and easting coordinates. The maximum distance between two points is no more than 50 meters. If for example when imported onto excel point 1's coordinates are locted in cells A1 and B1 and points 2's coordinates are locted in cells A2 and B2.

Any help or advice would be appreciated Thanks. I am very new to excel

Thanks all for the help, the formulae worked a treat (the northing and eastings data are recorded in metres).

I have one last problem for my inspection sheet,

I have 2 rails running (straight not curved) parallel to each other (that a train runs on). The ends of these rails may not be square to each other. I have the northing and easting measurements for the ends of these 2 rails.

2 switch rails are set against the 2 running rails (1 switch rail for each running rail). the end of these switch rails are not level with the end of the running rails they are against. Again I have the the northing and easting measurements for the switch rails end positions. A separate cell with be used to provide the distance between the 2 running rails

These 4 points make up a rectangle of sorts. I need to check the squareness of these switch ends to a tolerance of 5mm to each other at 90 degrees to the straight running rail. I need help creating a formula that can be used in excel that can use the data i have to check the switch end squareness. Is this possible???

I have tried to be as comprehensive as I can with providing information.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
How do you get bearings in degrees (from true north) between Eastings and Northings coordinates in the same rows/columns as here? Thanks

Upvote 0
yeah, excel can do it. it's just algebra. think back, there's a point-distance formula. it's just pythagorean's theorem, really.

(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 = distance^2

SO!
if your coordinates are in column A and B,
=sqrt((a2-a1)^2+(b2-b1)^2)
would yield the distance.
Hi, I see this post is from awhile back, so hoping you still see messages. This is a great help. Do you know if it is possible to have a formula to measure the distance from one point ( coordinate E, N ) to a line between two coordinates?

Upvote 0
Hi, I see this post is from awhile back, so hoping you still see messages. This is a great help. Do you know if it is possible to have a formula to measure the distance from one point ( coordinate E, N ) to a line between two coordinates?
I am not sure if you will get a response from "hatepoppy". He has not been on this board in almost 15 years!

Usually, it a a better idea to post your questions to new threads than it is to post to a really old threads where most users are not active anymore.
It will stand a much better chance of being seen (it will show up in the "Unanswered threads" listing).
You can add links in your new thread to old threads, if you feel it is helpful.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LizN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back