Calculate Average Number of Tasks Per day, productivity

eddiegnz1

We’re trying to calculate the average number of tasks per day for each employee. The goal is to measure productivity of employees. This needs to be measured everyday.
<o:p> </o:p>
So our goal is to report it as follows (for example);
The average tasks per day over the last 14 days for Mike was 3.79.
Mikes average was 4.03 for the last 90 days. But this must only take into account the day on which they actually completed at least one task so that days with zero tasks are not measured into their average because they didn't work that day.
The data is as follows (not actual data, example only);
A<o:p></o:p>
B<o:p></o:p>
C<o:p></o:p>
1<o:p></o:p>
Name<o:p></o:p>
Date<o:p></o:p>
Task<o:p></o:p>
2<o:p></o:p>
Mike<o:p></o:p>
8/1/2012<o:p></o:p>
billing<o:p></o:p>
3<o:p></o:p>
Cindy<o:p></o:p>
payments<o:p></o:p>
4<o:p></o:p>
Andy<o:p></o:p>
5<o:p></o:p>
6<o:p></o:p>
modify<o:p></o:p>
7<o:p></o:p>
8<o:p></o:p>
8/2/2012<o:p></o:p>
9<o:p></o:p>
Andy<o:p></o:p>
10<o:p></o:p>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Notice that on any given day, an employee might do any number of tasks or none. But if they do none, then it should not be included in the calculation of their average because they didn't work that day. The dates are always in ascending order. In the above example, Cindy did only two tasks on 08-01-12 while Andy only did one. But Andy's 90 day average might be 2.89 tasks per day.
Kind Thanks,
Eddie

Aladin, would you please accept my apology for not being clear. I am not very good at putting this stuff into words. But now I know that you’re clear that it is possibility C from your list of three.
<o:p></o:p>
But there’s still a bit more that I must try to clarify. For Cindy, in the above sample, her average will be 2.50 not 0.214285. That’s because she completed 5 tasks in two days. So 5 divided by 2 equals 2.5.
The actual data set will definitely have more than 14 unique dates. It will have hundreds of unique dates.
So for the last 14 unique dates in which Cindy completed at least one task, she might have completed 30 tasks. So 30 divided by 14 would be 2.14.

Kind thanks,
Eddie

Is it:

Number of Cindy days (tasks, duplicate or not) divided by the number of unique dates Cindy was tasking?

This would mean a different denominator (unique days) for each employee...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Is it:

Number of Cindy days (tasks, duplicate or not) divided by the number of unique dates Cindy was tasking?

This would mean a different denominator (unique days) for each employee...

Aladin, would you please accept my apology for not being clear. I am not very good at putting this stuff into words. But now I know that you’re clear that it is possibility C from your list of three.
But there’s still a bit more that I must try to clarify. For Cindy, in the above sample, her average will be 2.50 not 0.214285. That’s because she completed 5 tasks in two days. So 5 divided by 2 equals 2.5.
The actual data set will definitely have more than 14 unique dates. It will have hundreds of unique dates.
So for the last 14 unique dates in which Cindy completed at least one task, she might have completed 30 tasks. So 30 divided by 14 would be 2.14.

Kind thanks,
Eddie

Perhaps...
NameDateTask NameAvg
Mike8/1/2012billing Mike1.5
Cindy8/1/2012payments Cindy2.5
Andy8/1/2012billing Andy1
Mike8/1/2012billing
Mike8/1/2012modify
Cindy8/1/2012modify
Cindy8/2/2012payments
Cindy8/2/2012savings
Andy8/2/2012payments
Cindy8/2/2012modify

<colgroup><col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <col style="width: 130pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6144;" width="173"> <col style="width: 114pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5404;" width="152"> <col style="width: 48pt;" span="4" width="64"> <tbody>
</tbody>

G1, control+shift+enter:
Rich (BB code):
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($C$3:$C$12<>"",MATCH($B$3:$B$12,$B$3:$B$12,0)),
  ROW($B$3:$B$12)-ROW($B$3)+1),1))
This eestablishes the number of unique days in the data.

G3, just enter and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=IF($F3="","",COUNTIF($A$3:$A$12,$A3)/$G$1)

Upvote 0
Aha, Aladin, this works and is only missing one thing, the denominator should not be the same for every employee because sometimes employees are not present on all of the days in the data set. So the denominator should only include the number of days on which the employee completed at least one task.

An employee might have been on vacation for some of those days and thus completed no tasks that day. So we don't want to hurt their average by having a larger denominator in calculating their average.

I hope I don't wear out my welcome for your help. But this is so close, i think one more step will do.
Kind Thanks
Eddie

Upvote 0
Aha, Aladin, this works and is only missing one thing, the denominator should not be the same for every employee because sometimes employees are not present on all of the days in the data set. So the denominator should only include the number of days on which the employee completed at least one task.

An employee might have been on vacation for some of those days and thus completed no tasks that day. So we don't want to hurt their average by having a larger denominator in calculating their average.

I hope I don't wear out my welcome for your help. But this is so close, i think one more step will do.
Kind Thanks
Eddie

Eddie: Ok, but I'm worried about this productivity score!...

NameDateTask NameUnique Date CountAvg
Mike8/1/2012billing Mike13
Cindy8/1/2012payments Cindy22.5
Andy8/1/2012billing Andy21
Mike8/1/2012billing
Mike8/1/2012modify
Cindy8/1/2012modify
Cindy8/2/2012payments
Cindy8/2/2012savings
Andy8/2/2012payments
Cindy8/2/2012modify

<colgroup><col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <col style="width: 55pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2588;" width="73"> <col style="width: 68pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3242;" width="91"> <col style="width: 48pt;" span="3" width="64"> <col style="width: 131pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6200;" width="174"> <col style="width: 48pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2275;" width="64"> <tbody>
</tbody>

G2, control+shift+enter and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($C$2:$C$11<>"",
  IF($A$2:$A$11=$F2,MATCH($B$2:$B$11,$B$2:$B$11,0))),
   ROW($B$2:$B$11)-ROW($B$2)+1),1))
H2, just enter and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=IF($F2="","",COUNTIF($A$2:$A$11,$A2)/$G2)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twmills

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back