BUG: sessions times out while composing reply; reply is lost

joeu2004

Banned user
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
While composing a reply, the session time out despite frequent and recent "auto saves" (i.e. changes in the reply).

When I clicked on Go Advanced, the forum notified me of the expired session.

But as a consequence, I lost the reply that I was composing. When I clicked on the browser (Firefox) Go Back icon, the reply composition pane was gone.

In a previous posting here, I asked whether I can control the session expiration time.

But regardless, it would be nice if the session expiration clock were updated every time "auto saves" occurs.

And it would be nice if a session expiration error were handled in a manner such that after logging in again, we returned to the state we were in -- in this case, in the window with the composition pane.

I know the latter is possible (SMOP) because that is how it works in another forum.

In any case, the composition window must not be lost. At the very least, I could copy and paste into a new composition window that I open after logging in again.

Hi there,

Unfortunately this isn't going to happen. Not only that, but it's a bad idea. The timer(s) are there for a reason and serve to do their job well. There is a reasonable amount of time for any one token/connection, which shouldn't remain connected if inactive. This is for usability and security reasons, and is not going to change.

I do understand where you're coming from though, and I have lost some lengthy posts as well in the past due to either 1) an expired session, or 2) a browser going back. A quick tip to help you along the way so you don't lose everything you've written up, just get in the habit of selecting all of your text (CTRL + A) and then copying it to the clipboard (CTRL + C). Then if your action is taking too long and your session is expired, you can log in and navigate back there and just paste it as a reply again (CTRL + V). I realize this may not be what you're looking for, but it's served me well for a decade now. ;)

Unfortunately this isn't going to happen. Not only that, but it's a bad idea. The timer(s) are there for a reason and serve to do their job well. There is a reasonable amount of time for any one token/connection, which shouldn't remain connected if inactive. This is for usability and security reasons, and is not going to change.
Thanks for the prompt response. I understand. But activity in the reply composition pane, esp. "auto save", should count as being non-inactive, IMHO.

A quick tip to help you along the way so you don't lose everything you've written up, just get in the habit of selecting all of your text (CTRL + A) and then copying it to the clipboard (CTRL + C). Then if your action is taking too long and your session is expired, you can log in and navigate back there and just paste it as a reply again (CTRL + V).
Yup, that's what I do, when I have the presence of mind to remember. Actually, I copy and paste into Notepad. I think that is more reliable than the clipboard.

I realize this may not be what you're looking for, but it's served me well for a decade now. :wink:
I would hope that a moderator with 10 years experience in the forum would have enough clout to convince the UI developers to remedy this problem is some way. I have a lot of experience with other forums that handle this issue differently and quite reasonably without throwing out the idea altogether.

BTW, what is the session inactivity time limit now?

Also, tick Remember Me when you log in.
How might that help?

As a rule, I avoid "remember me" settings for security reasons. I realize that many internet users feel differently.

I would hope that a moderator with 10 years experience in the forum would have enough clout to convince the UI developers to remedy this problem is some way. I have a lot of experience with other forums that handle this issue differently and quite reasonably without throwing out the idea altogether.
LOL! Well, I wouldn't say I have "clout" here just because I've been here a while. I help where I can. It's not my board and I'm not an administrator, so it's not my decision. I too have a lot of experience at other forums, and would say (after I learned my lesson) this is a rare event to pinch me at all.

Also, it's quite common for a message board to have a time out feature like this. In fact it's built into the [vBulletin] software. I don't believe the 'auto-save' feature has anything to do with (or tied to in any fashion) tagging the session as active. This is a software-limiting issue (with the php). Though I agree, it would be nice. :)

BTW, what is the session inactivity time limit now?
You would need an administrator to tell you that. I think it's at 10 minutes, which I would say is quite reasonable for making a post.

You would need an administrator to tell you that.
How do I contact the forum administrator? Email consult@mrexcel.com?

More to the point: what is the most effective way to report such concerns to someone who might consider remedial action?

I thought postings in this forum (About This Board) might be seen by the Powers That Be, one way or another.

You've posted in the right place. They will see it here. That email address is for consulting work, not forum issues.

This is how the software works. We aren't going to customize it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmix803

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back