Brain teaser. Could be off topic!

Based on the question, the answer could be 14.

The question never said the sacks with the cats were actually inside the bus. The only thing that it said was inside the bus were the girls.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I say 240 legs assuming the bus has a driver with two legs and each of the 7 girls has 2 legs.
driver = 2
girls =7x2=14
big cats = 7x4=28
small cats 7x7x4=196

I still think the trick to this is as I posted above. Most brain teasers are answered by what the question is literally asking, but is asked in such a way as to sidetrack you with assumptions. I think this is a clever variation of the St. Ive's riddle. But if we were to assume the bags and cats were with the girls, there's a lot more than 7 big cats.

Each girl has 7 bags

So there would be a total of 49 bags.
Each of those bags has 7 cats.
That is 343 big cats.

Each of those cats has 7 small cats for a total of 2401 small cats, which gives us a total of 2744 cats, each with 4 legs for 10976 legs + 14 for the girls=10990 legs.

You are 100% correct Hotpepper I left the 7 bags each out of of my calculation, my mistake. And I agree with you about the question, if you read it literally it's impossible to answer because (as you said) it does not say if the girls have the bags on the bus, it also does not say if the girls have two legs, and it does not say if they are passangers on the bus of if the bus has a driver.

I think the cat 4 leg part is just distraction. I think it's safe to say that the question is asked in the understanding that most people have 2 legs. I think the only way to answer the question is to go with the information they give you and the only thing they said was inside was the girls, everything else is conjecture. There doesn't have to be a driver (with the information given there is no driver), because the question never said the bus was moving.

I agree. Pick any answer but state your assumptions - which shouldn't be in conflict with the original question. I introduced the driver merely as a joke. I believe the answer is 14 (assuming only the girls are on the bus and not their bags, per the original question).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve T

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back