Board Speed

fyi - the db backups up at 1150 Eastern everynight.. and the board will CRAWL
Yeah, I've been on during this timeframe and noticed it. Even emailed you about it once as I thought we were having a serious problem. :eeek:

Good to note, though. :)

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I agree - defrag is crucial. And esp. with the bigger hds. I will run it even if the system says I don't need to (within logic) - because when it does need to run - well, i don't have all day!

There was significant hardware upgrade prior to the new board being implimented...
Don't mean to be a bummer but I've actually experienced some board slowdown since the change.
Norie,
Don't let Nate's cover story fool you. It's a total fabrication. The entire reason the board's speed jumped so much was because Suat moved all of your activities off the main server and onto a 12-year-old server Bill picked up on e-bay for $7.34 + shipping. :lol:

Greg

I'm coming to the conclusion that Vista is just evil.:evil:

It won't let me either error check or defrag. :eeek:

Greg

I'm coming to the conclusion that Vista is just evil.:evil:

It won't let me either error check or defrag. :eeek:

Norie,
I think you'll find that Vista defrags by default, as a background service. From what I have read, upgrading to Vista on the same box is a pain in the proverbial. :(
Buying a new box with Vista installed is a much better experience. That's what I did (back in April), and I'm pretty happy with it. Maybe I'm better off than usual because I handed the guy a licensed copy of Vista and said "use this". That way I didn't get all of the extra crud that usually comes with a new PC -- I got to choose my own :biggrin:

Denis

Back to the original topic of the thread I've noticed a vast improvement in the speed of the board and once again it's a pleasant experience to use. Takes a bit of getting used to the new functionality but I like it.

Dom

Norie,
I think you'll find that Vista defrags by default, as a background service. From what I have read, upgrading to Vista on the same box is a pain in the proverbial. :(

To say the least! You haven't read half of it, Denis, check out my rants:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Number=1423518
http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Number=1423701

That's the web-friendly version. Imagine someone who loves their computer just getting out of the shower to realize they have no sound, what-so-ever on their computer.

The coarse language and fumbling around almost had no end, here I am applying every hack you could imagine at 12:00 am on a Friday night in my boxers!

I like Vista at this point, while it stumbles around quite a bit, especially when you do not reboot periodically, but the upgrade was more than chore, to be sure. :rolleyes:

Add me to th elist of people who are happy to see the increased board speed. I haven't had as much time to cruise the board lately as I would like... however, I am much more likely to stop in for a few quick answers now that I can be sure they really WILL be quick.

To say the least! You haven't read half of it, Denis, check out my rants:
I remember you mentioning the sound card thing before. I just think the OS has got too big to do anything but start afresh. And I saw your comment about Office XP not working. That's pretty poor, but I guess the attitude is that MS support 2 versions before the current one, and that was SP3 as far as they're concerned.

Also back on topic, the board is definitely quicker than it used to be. :beerchug:

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayneecm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back