Board Speed

Lewiy

Many of you were involved in a thread a little while back concerning the loading speed of the message boards particularly mid afternoon (GMT) when those many little states and provinces across the pond woke up!!

Well, I assume that this is due to the new software, but I for one have noticed a marked improvement in the board loading speed, not just in the afternoon but general use all day.

I hope that everone else is also experiencing a new, faster, slicker MrExcel!!! :biggrin:

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Absolutely! I believe there was also server upgrade prior to the platform upgrade.

I haven't been on the board for a while, with one of my pet peeves being the load times on the old board. Coming back recently, they have been blinding fast. Great improvement on the old response times, I think I might start hanging around again:-)

Cal

Don't mean to be a bummer but I've actually experienced some board slowdown since the change.

Not as bad as before, and I'm not getting timeouts but a couple of times when posting and/or trying to go to threads I've had to wait.

No big deal, it's probably some problem my side anyway - this computer (and it's printer) seem to hate me.:evil:

Oh, and the monitor ain't so friendly either - I seem to have to reinstall it's drivers every couple of times I start-up.:confused:

Oh, and the monitor ain't so friendly either - I seem to have to reinstall it's drivers every couple of times I start-up.:confused:
It sounds like you might have a potential hardware problem? :confused:

I'm not sure if the new board is faster than the old board following the hardware upgrade, once the kinks got worked out, but I also think that the new software is more robust and is probably a little heavier in terms of memory, etc...

Either way, much, much better than prior to the hardware upgrade!
icon14.gif

Nate

I've got to agree that it's probably a hardware issue my end but I really can't figure out what it could be.

Like I said the whole setup - box, monitor, printer, modem broadband, graphics card etc- just don't seem to like me.:)

Anyways, I have noticed increased board speeds most of the time so I'm fine with that.:)

Perhaps one day I'll get bored and do a bit of maintenance on my system, but I'm kind of put off the idea of having to defrag a 145GB hard drive.

fyi - the db backups up at 1150 Eastern everynight.. and the board will CRAWL

If you're getting shoddy performance on what appears to be a really solid hardware setup, the first thing I would do is run ScanDisk (renamed to 'check disk for errors'?) then I'd defrag.

Then I'd run Spybot and Ad-Aware. And if it was still misbehaiving I'd be taking a closer look at my drivers. Are they compatible (I'm using a sound-card driver hack)? Are there available upgrades? Etc...

I know you didn't ask me for my thoughts on this, but this is the Lounge and there they are anyway.

ScanDisk and Defragging can take a really long time on a highly fragmented system, but this is critical to your PC's performance. I tend to run them overnight with no other Apps running.
icon12.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayneecm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back