Board Speed

The board seems a lot quicker. Let's cross our fingers that it stays this way. :)

To be honest, I can't say that I've noticed any improvement. Certainly in the mornings (GMT) it runs fine but the afternoons are still a bit of a slog.

This is a premier board for Excel and yet no real improvements have been made since the upgrade back in 2002. The user experience is about the same now as it was over five years ago. The speed has been as issue for years with userload provided as the main reason. Well... If so many users are visiting, business must be good for the consulting team. Right? Is business good enough that there is no need to upgrade?

The affiliation with www.theofficeexperts.com is obvious. Why does this board not provide the same functionality such as: Reasonable speed, file uploads, ect...?

I am curious about these things and would appreciate a civil, intelligent reply. :)

I admit I'm slightly disappointed that there hasn't been a comment from anyone who can make an informed comment on this other than the obvious USA wakeup factor.

I have to admit to spending more time on other sites now entirely due to the performance of this one.

I'll ask Bill about it when I see him next Monday.

The only people who can actually make any sort of informed comment on the board speed (and any other technical issues) are Bill, Tracy or Suat.

i know who knows - Mr Excel!!

Other than the shutdown on Sunday - i'm very happy with this board - #1!

I'm told the server is being updated and some other work being done which should be completed by 4th December all being well.

This past weekend, we upgraded to a new faster dedicated server for MrExcel.com. The new server has twice as much RAM (4GB), a larger hard drive, and a faster front-size bus. This update also included a newer version of MySQL and FreeBSD.

I actually remember when the hosting bill to run the entire site was $10 a month. This new server adds another $2400 a year to the cost of running the site. (If you see anything interesting in the Google ad box, consider clicking through to take a look. Those Google ads help to offset the server cost.)

I want to thank Suat and Tracy for their testing. They uncovered some strange problems on Friday/Saturday (out of memory on certain searches), but I think those are resolved. If you notice any other unusual behaviour, post it here.

Suat is still planning on converting the message board over to a vBulletin system - possibly this upcoming weekend, provided everything with the new server seems stable.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peaches000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back