Automatic Picture Insert

Harley

I have a "storyboard" template set up in an Excel workbook. Currently I manually insert(Insert, Picture from File) seven .jpg files into the workbook and move them to the appropriate location on the "storyboard" template. Then I have to resize them.

I'm wondering if there is any way I can have this done automatically. I would like excel to look for the pictures in a folder on my hard drive and automatically insert the pictures into 7 different locations on the template. Is that possible?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Image1.Picture = LoadPicture _ ("H:OPSTAGGINGINFO_and_HelpSupport Filesstd1.jpg")

In () is the path to your jpg, jpg listed at end.
Chas

Upvote 0
I'm getting the #NAME? error after I hit enter. Here is what I enter in the cell where I want the picture to be inserted:

=LoadPicture_("C:Documents and SettingsUserDesktopCMAGSNAG-00.jpg")

SNAG-00.jpg is the picture I'm trying to insert. Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
I thought you were using a userform, the prior response was vba code for a userform.

I sent you file via email, use an image box.

chas

Upvote 0
Hi
try this for each picture. Change the range for each location and the size factor if the pictures are different sizes.

' top left corner of picture
Range("C4").Select

ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert( _
"C:Documents and SettingsKen MackseyMy Documents30 inch long salmon.jpg"). _
Select
' Vary the scalewidth and scaleheight value to suit the picture size and location size
Selection.ShapeRange.ScaleWidth 0.15, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft
Selection.ShapeRange.ScaleHeight 0.15, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft

HTH

Ken

Upvote 0
I am still having trouble with this. I've created the image boxes and I am able to insert the pictures manually in the properties of each image. However, I still can't get the pictures to be inserted automatically.

Upvote 0
Were you ever able to get the pictures to be inserted automatically?

I have a similar project inserting maps. I would like to know how to get excel to find the image by file name based on what is entered in Cell A1 AND automatically insert the map image.

Example:

Cell A1 = "N01"

For cell D5: Automatically find bmp file "N01.bmp" in MapsFolder and insert the file in Cell D5

Upvote 0
Hello,

Harley said:
I am still having trouble with this. I've created the image boxes and I am able to insert the pictures manually in the properties of each image. However, I still can't get the pictures to be inserted automatically.

Better late than never?

Here's an example:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> InsrPics()
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Integer</SPAN>, myPic <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Object</SPAN>, cl <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Range
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">With</SPAN> Application.FileSearch
    .NewSearch
    .LookIn = "C:\Documents and Settings\nate\My Documents\My Pictures\"
    .Filename = ".jpg"
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">If</SPAN> .Execute() > 0 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Then</SPAN>
        Application.ScreenUpdating = 0
        <SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> .FoundFiles.Count
            <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> cl = Sheets(1).Cells(i * i, i * i)
            <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> myPic = Sheets(1).Pictures.Insert(.FoundFiles(i))
            <SPAN style="color:darkblue">With</SPAN> myPic
                .Top = cl.Top
                .Left = cl.Left
                .ShapeRange.Height = cl.RowHeight * 4.2 <SPAN style="color:green">'4.2 rows tall</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">With</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Next</SPAN> i
        <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> cl = Nothing: <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> myPic = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN>
        Application.ScreenUpdating = 1
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">If</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">With</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

You can do different things will cells and the loop.

Upvote 0
Hello Ernie,

ernie mil said:
I have a similar project inserting maps. I would like to know how to get excel to find the image by file name based on what is entered in Cell A1 AND automatically insert the map image.

Example:

Cell A1 = "N01"

For cell D5: Automatically find bmp file "N01.bmp" in MapsFolder and insert the file in Cell D5

This looks like a slightly different animal. How about something like the following:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> Chk_Insrt()
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> fso <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Object</SPAN>, MyDir <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">String</SPAN>, Nme <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">String</SPAN>, myPic <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Object</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> ws <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Worksheet
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
MyDir = "c:\temp\" <SPAN style="color:green">'Change Directory</SPAN>
Nme = Sheets(1).[a1] & ".bmp" <SPAN style="color:green">'Change Filename</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">If</SPAN> fso.FileExists(MyDir & Nme) <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Then</SPAN>
    Application.ScreenUpdating = 0
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> ws = Sheets(1) <SPAN style="color:green">'Change the target sheet</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> myPic = ws.Pictures.Insert(MyDir & Nme)
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">With</SPAN> myPic
        .Top = ws.[d5].Top
        .Left = ws.[d5].Left
        .ShapeRange.Height = ws.[d5].RowHeight * 4.2 <SPAN style="color:green">'4.2 rows tall</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> myPic = Nothing: <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> ws = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN>
    Application.ScreenUpdating = 1
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">If</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> fso = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Don't necessarily see the need for a full-blown search here. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back