Another stupid fricking userform question

Mark O'Brien

MrExcel MVP
Gah! I hate Access! It is the least intuitive of all of Microsloth's Office apps. (to me anyway)

My current deceptively simple, yet frustrating problem with Acc-fricking-ess is that I cannot view all of my userforms in the Project Explorer in the VBE. This makes working with forms a complete pain.

If I have to keep writing code with :

DoCmd.Forms(...etc....)

then I am going to get really, really, really, really, really annoyed.

and, I am even more annoyed by the fact that I am voluntarily doig all of this on a Friday night.

God, I hate Access.

I'm going to make another margarita.

PS. I made the db, forms and everything in Access 2000, but I am currently using XP at home. (where I am having the problems, I may have had the problems on 200 as well, but hadn't got far enough in my project to notice.)

dk said:
Wow, you're such a hero Nate. Are the images of you?
Dan, I don't follow your response, I wouldn't have claimed to be a hero, rather an individual with an opinion, based on experience. The images in the reports are not of me, why would they be (although they could be)? The imposed image is whatever image I choose to bury in a form, it turns out to be a company logo in the example I'm referring to.

Sarcasm eh? Well, you requested the premises for my conclusions and I gave them to you. Perhaps you shouldn't ask the question if you don't want the answer. And, If you prefer that I moderate my tone, perhaps you should moderate yours.

Either way, again, I believe I've offered some sound advice and it has nothing to do with your posted perspective as to why I derived such conclusions, rather my own through personal experience. I'm simply trying to share something that strikes me as intelligent here.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Nate, it sounds like you hate Access. :LOL:

Out of interest, in Excel do you use the "Report Manager" add-in? I've never used this and I'm not sure if this is a useful tool or not.

Dan, yeah, Nate was trying to get a rise out of me. If he asks if my data is normalised it typically means that he wants a slapping. Which he deserves.

BTW, Speccys are better than Commodore 64's, the Z80A is faster than that crappy Motorola effort in the C64. ;)

Upvote 0
Mark O'Brien said:
Nate, it sounds like you hate Access. :LOL:

Out of interest, in Excel do you use the "Report Manager" add-in? I've never used this and I'm not sure if this is a useful tool or not.

Well I do and I don't. I've learned quite a bit about vb and defensive programming using it ( :LOL: ), and it certainly helps me with a few things I can't do in Excel (manage 10 70+ mb data warehouses). But the software's been known drive me crazy every now and then (Excel has too), not quite like Paradox did back in the 90's or Lotus Notes does currently. At least Access supports VB, albeit a moving target, and Lotus Script is, well, I just don't follow the L.S. object model or how it works, it doesn't function the way I expect it to.

I like storing and performing simple data crunches (sometimes) in Access, if my data's not Abby-normal, which it always is, thanks to some choice input channels that are well beyond my control at this point in time.

No I haven't used this add-in, you? In Excel? Why would you want a report manger in Excel? I just create them via Vb, transfer data, format cells, kill gridlines, do the page set up, remove row and column headers, hide sheet tabs, etc... I've used MS Query quite a bit, but the sql needs to be simple, too simple for some of what I need, e.g., select distinct -> crosstab (wouldn't it be nice if a cross tab could simply impliment a select distinct statement?!). So, I'm now at the point of pushing and pulling programatically. Most recently I'm pushing from Access, but I do a lot of pulling as well. I simply don't care for reports in Access, I would rather reinvent the wheel and create all of my reports in Excel, they're more robust in my estimation.

Here's the conclusion I've come to. Access and Excel are better than the other for different things. Access is better at copious data warehousing/manipulation, Excel is better for functional reports. So I figure, rather than limiting myself to one or the other, interface the two and leverage their strengths. A little bit of vb know how gets you there and you end up with the best of both worlds. :)

Dan, yeah, Nate was trying to get a rise out of me. If he asks if my data is normalised it typically means that he wants a slapping. Which he deserves.
:LOL:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmix803

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back