Another stupid fricking userform question

Mark O'Brien

MrExcel MVP
Gah! I hate Access! It is the least intuitive of all of Microsloth's Office apps. (to me anyway)

My current deceptively simple, yet frustrating problem with Acc-fricking-ess is that I cannot view all of my userforms in the Project Explorer in the VBE. This makes working with forms a complete pain.

If I have to keep writing code with :

DoCmd.Forms(...etc....)

then I am going to get really, really, really, really, really annoyed.

and, I am even more annoyed by the fact that I am voluntarily doig all of this on a Friday night.

God, I hate Access.

I'm going to make another margarita.

PS. I made the db, forms and everything in Access 2000, but I am currently using XP at home. (where I am having the problems, I may have had the problems on 200 as well, but hadn't got far enough in my project to notice.)

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Mark,

The project explorer will only show the form if it has had any code added to it. Right click your form and choose Build Event, Code Builder to add the default procedure (which should be click). Does that help, or have I missed the fricking point? :wink:

Upvote 0
Thanks Dan. That works.

You know, I tried something similar, I thought I added event code to the userform using the "properties" window but that didn't work.

That is the most stupid ****ing thing I have ever ****ing seen in my whole entire life.

I ****ing hate Access. I'm seriously tempted just to write the front end in VB. I really really hate Access.

...but thanks for keeping my sane. I'm still going to have another margarita.

:cool:

Then I need to go and do that for my 12 other fricking forms. Why is there no consistency between VBA in Word, Excel and Access? I hate them so very, very much.

Upvote 0
Dan, or anyone,

When I do the code builder thing and the default code is for the "Detail_Click" event, what is the purpose of "Detail"? I only see it in Design View and it pisses me off as well.

Upvote 0
Mark,

Each form has a header, detail and footer section. You'll probably only see the header and footer if you click View, Form Header/Footer. You normally use headers and/or footers when you're creating a continuous form (ie the same form but it will repeat down the screen) but you want to keep the same controls/data at the top or bottom of your form. Sort of like a freeze panes or split window in Excel. The detail section is actually your main form body.

Upvote 0
dk said:
The project explorer will only show the form if it has had any code added to it. Right click your form and choose Build Event

Jesus Christ Mark, I told you this a week ago!

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=56926&start=1

Mark O'Brien said:
I ****ing hate Access. I'm seriously tempted just to write the front end in VB. I really really hate Access.
God **** it Mark, I already showed you the way, use Excel:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=57659&start=5

Mark said:
Gah! I hate Access! It is the least intuitive of all of Microsloth's Office apps. (to me anyway)

I too hate Access, it's bloody awful, it doesn't work quite like it should (buggy) and it's not very intuitive. Turns out we're not alone:
Paul Raymond re: I hate Access! I hate it! It's out of here! said:
Anyone who uses Access for mission critical stuff is an idiot. I'm an idiot.
But I've had it with Access. And I'm going to tell the world. And I can!
{snip}
:ROFLMAO:

Although it is a helluva lot better than Paradox and Lotus Notes in my opinion. However, I vote for Visio regarding this exclusive category, I really despise this software (do your flowcharts in Excel! Almost gave myself drain bammage doing this in Viso :p ). I'd say I hate L.N. more, but that's IBM's nightmare.

For Christ's sake Rip Van Winkle, snap out of it! Are you sure your data is normalized? :LOL:

Upvote 0
NateO said:
God **** it Mark, I already showed you the way, use Excel:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=57659&start=5

For someone who claims to 'hate Access' you still seem willing to give crappy advice to anyone who will listen. This attitude is typical of someone who's used to Excel and then gets in a strop because Access doesn't work the same way. Do you seriously think you could create a report in Excel that includes the usual things (subtotals, nice formatting, etc) which is maintainable and would allow amendments to be easily made? A total moron could use the report wizard and even tidy up afterwards (I've seen it with my own eyes!) What's the problem? (This is in reference to your 'reports,etc stink' remark in one of your ramblings).

NateO said:
I too hate Access, it's bloody awful, it doesn't work quite like it should (buggy) and it's not very intuitive.

Yes, there are some things which could be implemented in a better way. Howvever, your 'doesn't work like it should (buggy) comment' intrigues me. Can you clarify this with some examples? Are you referring to bugs like this beauty I recently came across, or do you mean that it doesn't work how you'd expect it to work? There's a difference.

By the way, I typed "i hate excel" into Google and there were a few hits. If we're going to use that logic then I think MS Word will be the winner :)

Regards,
Dan

Upvote 0
dk said:
For someone who claims to 'hate Access' you still seem willing to give crappy advice to anyone who will listen. This attitude is typical of someone who's used to Excel and then gets in a strop because Access doesn't work the same way. Do you seriously think you could create a report in Excel that includes the usual things (subtotals, nice formatting, etc) which is maintainable and would allow amendments to be easily made? A total moron could use the report wizard and even tidy up afterwards (I've seen it with my own eyes!) What's the problem? (This is in reference to your 'reports,etc stink' remark in one of your ramblings).
Well granted I was exagerating a touch. And more trying to get a rise of out Mark than you, but the advice while pointy, isn't so crappy in my estimation.

Of course I can create reports in Excel from an Access database that

1) Meet your requirements
2) Are more functional than Reports in Access.

So yes, seeing is believing, I do it all the time, and wouldn't have posted as such if the case was otherwise. This is where my advice is better than that of the approach followed by morons, as you put it. Granted, not as straight-foward, but I'm taking my own medicine on this one and to follow your choice advice with the next scenario has proven to be very crappy indeed. Consider the following scenario. 100 MB database full of detail. I need to create 200 unique queries, periodically, and sometimes I want to mix-match the queries, then distribute them all by e-mail to different recipients. What good does a report do me here? Zippo, it's static, how are you going to distribute it? And how is the recipient gonna cut it and work with the data? They're not, very bad news indeed because they have their own spreadsheets and dbs to work with the data and you end up with duplicative efforts to re-key all of this stuff. So what do I do? Exactly what my crappy advice was, push every one of them to an Excel File and programmatically format each outputted report, fully complete with images (which I convert to a byte array and pass to Excel from a form (code's on the board)), subtotals, pretty colours, the whole nine yards... Data reports are nicer and more functional in Excel, in my opinion, period. It's like someone sending me data in a pdf, I can do nothing with it until I convert to Excel, then I can do anything, push to Access, analyze, etc... I don't get that with a static, drawn up report. I don't care for them based on experience. What do you do with a report? Print it and file it, because it's useless. Turns out to be the medicine I prefer.

Yes, there are some things which could be implemented in a better way. Howvever, your 'doesn't work like it should (buggy) comment' intrigues me. Can you clarify this with some examples?
Sure: bug. Michael states it's not an Access issue, but it is an Access object model issue.

Obviously DAO wasn't cutting it, so M.S. adopted ADO, which simply convolutes the use of Access even futher.

There's definintely a problem with a converted '97 database I have, where it double counts on a select distinct query I have, even after implimenting the Val() function. The jury-rig fix was preposterous, use a min() or max() function, that's not intuitive... I gave up caring as to what the problem is, because it occurred to me that it's crazier than fiction.

There's more bugs with Access, I've just been fortunate not to have identified them all. Excel has some too, but it seems to be much more user friendly in terms of data manipulation, and you need not agree. :p
By the way, I typed "i hate excel" into Google and there were a few hits. If we're going to use that logic then I think MS Word will be the winner :)
My attitude is that of someone who's pushed the software and who's been in turn underwhelmed from time to time. I still recommend it's use, it's better than Excel for certain things, I just don't think data reports are one of them. And, I still think Visio's the winner in my estimation. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmix803

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back