Advice on Sanding my Floor

Jon,
If you're that keen you can come and do my kitchen floor. :)

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hey Jon,

I'm gonna' rag on the belt sander...It's really easy to gouge the surface, especially with the tougher grits and softer woods, and you have to be supremely careful about creating waves/uneven ripples across the entire surface. Granted, it doesn't leave the squiggles that a small orbital can, but I am a huge fan of 6-8" random orbitals. They can take down a lot more in a sitting and can be more forgiving, especially when you're bringing two sections together.

As for the old varnish spots, if the new finish is darker, then you just need to scuff them so the new will stick (as long as there's not a substantial build-up that will cause lumps). For paint spots you're better off getting it all out though, as it will show through. Most people take it easy on corners because it's so easy to put something there when you're done, like a plant, small child, etc. If you're having a really hard time in a corner, a Japanese scraper is a great tool, and beats the hell out of a Mickey Mouse corner sander (which is really only made to make your wife think you're busy)...

Good luck!

I love this forum even more now :) Two guys that seem to know their stuff.

@Mark: Pack in the marketing, you're made for woodwork!

@Smitty: But you can't race orbital sanders ;)

@Dom: Go to Ikea and get a flat-pack :stickouttounge:

@Rory: talk to Richard. I hear from his wife that he's quite the handy man. Just don't ask him to change the battery to the fire alarm! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Smitty: But you can't race orbital sanders

After living on a 62' classic yacht (solid Honduran mahogany) I have more than my share of sander stories. Like the Jack Russell Terrorist who had two flat canines after attacking a table sander...Or did you know that when a belt sander gets accidentally plugged in and shoots off the stern of the boat and into the LA Harbor (with said Jack Russell chasing it), it can be revived by soaking it in fresh water for an hour and left to dry (thoroughly)?

I forgot to mention that for getting up old varnish/paint, I prefer a heat gun over a stripper (which is for after the work is done and the beer is flowing. :))

@Mark: Pack in the marketing, you're made for woodwork!

WHAT!?!? I was thinking to go for "rouge excel programmer" :rofl:

No, thanks to Ikea and other fine, low cost labour, friends, it would (wood? :huh:) be very hard to compete with the cheap prices. It seems few people actually appreciate the craftsmanship of hand-built furniture and even those of us that do, can hardly afford to buy it.

It is a good hobby. (And even better when your grandfather, a retired carpenter, passes his tools on to you)

You can get strippers to peel off stuff on hardwood? :eeek: WHAT?!?!!

haha, I was waiting for a joke like this.

Many thanks for all your help guys, will give it a go on Sunday.

Found out yesterday that the varnish is not dark, its a light pine varnish apparently (I don't get to pick things like this, I just get told to use it - Such is life...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xuebohan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back