Adding formulas by VBA; dealing with international keyboard differences

MarkLW

Hi. I'm scrapping some conditional formatting.

Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=AND(NOT(ISBLANK($AG3)),LEN($AG3)>12,Colors_On=TRUE)"

Code works just fine until found a coworkers that uses international / French keyboard and I found that "," needs to be ";" to work on that system when adding formula by script.

So I don't have to have multiple version thinking something like below but not sure what would go into custom function "KeyBoardType()"
If Keyboardtype = "US" Then
' Use ,
Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=AND(NOT(ISBLANK($AG3)),LEN($AG3)>12,Colors_On=TRUE)"
Else
' Use ;
Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=AND(NOT(ISBLANK($AG3));LEN($AG3)>12,Colors_On=TRUE)"
End if

Help with a 'KeyBoardType()' function or any other implementation suggestions would be great.

Thanks for the help.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Does the code definitely not work if you keep the ,?

Upvote 0
It shouldn't matter...

VBA uses US settings regardless of the computers regional settings.
If you just use a comma in the formulas, Excel should AutoCorrect the list seperator character when VBA enters the formula into a cell.

Upvote 0
Are you sure the formula is the problem?

Upvote 0
That is interesting because simply writing a formula with VBA then , will be converted to ; if necessary automatically

This may help

Code:
s = Application.International(xlDecimalSeparator)

Upvote 0
It as noted above auto manages it every place else in the file. Its only when I do the VBA to custom format it has issue. I modified the , to a ; in the VBA code and ran it again and worked fine only then.

Upvote 0
It shouldn't matter...

VBA uses US settings regardless of the computers regional settings.
If you just use a comma in the formulas, Excel should AutoCorrect the list seperator character when VBA enters the formula into a cell.

That is interesting because simply writing a formula with VBA then , will be converted to ; if necessary automatically

Apparently this is not correct for entering a formula in conditional formatting (or custom format as OP has been calling it)

I'd suggest entering the formula into a cell, then you can use that cell as a reference when entering the conditional formatting.

Hang on, I'll work on that..

Upvote 0
Try

Range("Z1").Formula = "=AND(NOT(ISBLANK($AG3)),LEN($AG3)>12,Colors_On=TRUE)"
Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:= Range("Z1").FormulaLocal
Range("Z1").ClearContents

Change Z1 to any unused cell of your choice.

Upvote 0
I Like it.

I was doing a google on Excel International found
Code:
Application.International(xlListSeparator)

I should be able to insert this in line as part of my formula. I'm not able to test it as all my international coworkers are offline... but I think it will do the trick. If it does not I will do your direct to Cell work around.

thank you so much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back