Add more data to the database

David_Skov

Well I thought I knew, but it doesn't seem to work. I have data that I enter into excel, and then I import it into Access. I then used the same excel sheet and entered new data. Then I wanted to import that data into Access, but it says it contains errors. So I don't know what to do now :(

I use the 'Get external data' -> 'Import' function. Is there another way? Can I post the errormessage in here and would that help?

It just says an error occured but not what type of error :(

Just another thing. In my query I use this:

DMax("[Uge]";"[Gallup Query]";"[År] = " & DMax("[År]";"[Gallup Query]"))

Is there a way to show the result in Excel?

I use the data in a pivot table and the Dmax weeknumber I need to have to tell people how many weeks of 2004 the database contains :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
you could stick maxWeek:DMax("[Uge]";"[Gallup Query]";"[År] = " & DMax("[År]";"[Gallup Query]")) in as a new field in the query. this will give you an extra column in Excell with every cell having the max week number :)

Peter

Upvote 0
bat17 said:
you could stick maxWeek:DMax("[Uge]";"[Gallup Query]";"[År] = " & DMax("[År]";"[Gallup Query]")) in as a new field in the query. this will give you an extra column in Excell with every cell having the max week number :)

Peter

Ok but how to call for it in Excel? I thought it was possible to call for data in the database :p

Anyway, I have another small problem. The pivottables I used before made from Excel data now need to be 'converted' into use the data from the database. How do I do that? WHen I open the Wizard in the pivot table I don't see an option to point at the database instead?

Upvote 0
from Excel you can call the data Using Data>Get external Data>New Database Query... and this will start a wizard to get data from Access (Amongs other places) using MSQuery.

For more specific help in Excel you are best to start a new thread in the Excel forum :)

Peter

Upvote 0
Isn't there really not any other way to retrieve that number?

bat17 said:
from Excel you can call the data Using Data>Get external Data>New Database Query... and this will start a wizard to get data from Access (Amongs other places) using MSQuery.

For more specific help in Excel you are best to start a new thread in the Excel forum :)

Peter

Upvote 0
It was not just the number it gets all of the data for your pivot table. I don't use pivot tables so I don't know much about them but I am assuming that they will not let you draw data directly from Access.
MSQuery will let you build a table in Excel that can be set to update automaticaly when the form opens and can be updated on demand.
My thought was that you could use this table for your pivot table and the extra column would give you your date.

Peter

Upvote 0
If you want to get the data for a pivot table, you can do it direct from Access.
Do the following...
1. Make your Access database into an ODBC data source.
2. In Excel, start the Pivot Table wizard. The default option is to use an existing table in Excel. Choose the second option -- external data source.
3. In the next dialog, click the Get Data button and select your data source. You can then pick from any table / query and select the fields that yo want to return.
4. On the next screen, the wizard asks the usual questions about where to locate the table, and lets you lay out the fields.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back