Access equivalent of Excel's "SEARCH" and "IS

jj2ford

I am a new user to Access and I'm trying to build a query in Access that will work much faster than me doing a monthly report in Excel manually, but I am having trouble with the limited amount of Functions in Access. So, I was wondering if there is an equivalent in Access for the "SEARCH" and "ISNUMBER" functions? My formula in Excel starts like this:

IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("CUST",$G4)).......

I tried doing this in Access using the expression builder and it doesn't work. If anyone could help me out with this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Limited amount of functions, you are joking aren't you.:)

What are you actually trying to do with this expression?

Are you trying to return only the records where a field has CUST in it?

If you are that can easily be done by using *CUST* for the criteria for the field.

If you want to return a particular value if a field contains CUST then you can use InStr and Iif

Code:
Expr:Iif(InStr([YourField], "CUST")>0, "Value1", "Value2")

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. What I am actually trying to do with this expression is a little complicated. I have a set of data that looks like the information below:

Category Description Qty Cubic Ft EXPRESSION
Chairmats 45 x 64 Round 12 5
Chairmats 45 x 64 Cust. Rect 12 5

I need to take Qty x Cubic Ft. for ALL items that have a category of "Chairmats" and that have "Cust" in the description field. My formula in Excel looks like this:

=IF([Category]="CHAIRMATS",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("CUST",[Description])),0,IF([Qty]>0,[Qty]*[Cubic Ft],0)),0)

So with this formula, it would calculate the Expression column as 60 for the first example and 0 for the second. Let me know if this makes sense and you know of a way to do this in Access. THANKS!!

Upvote 0
Sorry my data above is so messy. I don't know how to paste from Excel. But basically there are 5 columns. Let me know if you need me to try something else.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the Excel formula return 0 for data with CUST in it?

That's what the 2nd if is doing anyway.

Upvote 0
Yes, Excel would return a 0 for the data with CUST in it. I only need to multiply Qty. x Cubic Ft. when CUST in NOT in it. Sorry for the confusion. So, when CUST is NOT in the Description I need to multiply the two. Thanks.

Upvote 0
That's what I thought, just wanted clarification.:)

Try this expression.

IIf(InStr([Description],"cust"),0,[qty]*[cubic ft])

Upvote 0
I tried looking for the syntax to find data from one field within a string of data from another (a field reference instead of a fixed search). This post was on the first page of Google results for most of the search terms I could think of so I thought I'd post my solution here in case others come looking for the same thing.

I put this into the Criteria for a Select query:

InStr(1,[field_to_search_in],[field_that_has_search_criteria])>"0"

In a Select query, this should return only rows where some or all of the first field matches all of the second.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back