About time I grew up, I suppose... *:(

Ruddles

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm connected to a remote workstation at the far end of the office. I needed to run some fairly chunky Access reports and I didn't want to tie my machine up.

Whilst half the office were out to lunch I opened up a VBA Immediate window on the remote machine and typed Application.Speech.Speak "Help! I'm trapped in this computer!".

The woman at the desk next to it nearly freaked out! :biggrin:

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
I was advised that having my Excel application say "You're quite good at turning me on" when the user started it was deemed inappropriate by our HR representative....

:rofl: Classic!

It's a shame some companies have to spoil the fun. I've seen some amazing things done in Excel, and some places shouldn't take themselves so seriously.

I had a spreadsheet once I named Dave, that was deemed inappropriate...somehow...and I told them they'd have to pay for the Deed-Poll if they didn't like it. Actually got a smile out my manager for that :)

I used to have my phone set to play the mission impossible theme tune whenever it rang.

Whilst working on a project on a customers site, it rang and the customer wasn't happy and complained to my boss ! :eeek:

Needless to say I had to replace it with something else !!

:) Like it.

My boss wasn't happy with the customer, and thought my ring tone was kind of funny. But to keep the peace it was considered best to change it.

Last edited:
I had a colleague who used to have the Crazy Frog ring tone. It really drove me nuts especially when he would leave his mobile on his desk and step out for a bit. :mad:

So I had a T-shirt specially made with a picture of Crazy frog hanging by a noose, a bullet hole in the head and a blood stained wall behind. The caption read 'Crazy Frog Croaked'. It actually worked because a day or so after I wore it to the office he changed his ring tone (to Californication by RHCP if memory serves - which was great :)).

Ring ding ding ding praaap praarp praarp draaarp braap braap braap wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............

I also used this; i discovered that i wound up dreading speaking to my boss though, for no reason...

Yes, I did change it eventually, but not before changing jobs!

I'd love a bit more freedom to have fun here, there are an awful of of solumn faces in here every day, be nice to cheer folk up :-?

I was advised that having my Excel application say "You're quite good at turning me on" when the user started it was deemed inappropriate by our HR representative....

Perhaps if you'd had it play a Barry White .wav file to set the mood first HR might have been more open-minded?

At my previous employer they put together an online expense reporting system that required (a) a reason for the overall trip and then (b) made "reason" a required field at the line-item detail level as well. Since I had explained the purpose of the trip in the header, for the line detail for hotel I put "because they wouldn't let me take a tent on the plane". For the "reason" for airfare I put "because it's too darned far to walk".

When I was asked about this, I explained that (a) if the finance team wasn't going to take this seriously and was going to waste time and resources asking for ridiculous information, I figured a bit of silliness was just what the doctor'd ordered and (b) the poor guys that had to read through hundreds of these a week might just get a smile out of my responses. Needless to say, I was asked to edit my responses and re-submit the report before it could be forwarded to the Finance department for approval.

And yes, I did all of this after I had learned that the company was closing our facility and that I was going to lose my job in a few months anyhow. I'm not 100% daft, only >99%...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back