A nice feeling on a sunny day

It does actually sound very interesting (not being flippant here) - I considered doing a history degree with the OU a few years back (decided not to in the end as finding another job became more pressing).

I am fairly interested in doing some computer programming modules, I just can't decide if I want the structure of something like an OU module, or whether I can do it off of my own back...

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
No, I haven't. Maybe I should do this terms essay on it -modern perceptions and interpretations on the Hero...

That could work!

It's very funny - kicks off from "if his ankle was his weak point, why didn't he just embed it in a block of concrete" and goes rapidly downhill from there!

(Disclaimer: Pretty much my entire knowledge of Homer comes from this routine. It may not be funny if you actually know stuff!)

Richard - If you fancy it, I think you would find it immensely rewarding. I did my BA the same way - at Birkbeck in the evening. I did look at doing it via OU, but I decided to go with Birkbeck as a) I wasn't sure I could trust myself with the distance learning, b) because the course at BBK offered more modules that suited my tastes, and c) because as I hadn't been to uni straight after school I hadn't experienced the social side. As it turned out I managed to get away from some fairly destructive friendships/relationships I was in, and found myself a husband to boot.

Now I am back there I can't sing its praises enough. (Hence I reallly, really wanted to work there!) It is a hell of a lot of hard work, and not everyone completes, but because of the way it is set out, the majority if the students are really keen and focussed, and as I say, there is a thriving social life as well, which I don't think you would get at OU. Studying at Birkbeck was the best thing I could have done for myself, so I HAD to go back!

Just to remind everyone of the original topic before it got hijacked...
I have just taught my colleague about conditional formatting, and rather than get the normal "yeah whatever, thanks" comment, I got the unusual "wow this is great! I really want to know more cool things now" type response.

Which is a really nice feeling that i wanted to share with you. (Also makes me more glad I am leaving as I don't want to be challenged by a would be guru!) It's nice to have an appreciative student.

I had the exact same thing happen last week--even down to the topic being conditional formatting. It's nice to be able to pass on the tidbits of knowledge that I've acquired, but I'll have to dole them out slowly so I can maintain my job security.

And congratulations Bryony! I'm sure the career/education change will be a fulfilling challenge.:-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GunsofBrixton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back