A moment of frustration...

I don't mind the spoonfeeding requests as much as the "Will you do my homework for me?" requests. Every now and then I see one and I hope it sinks without a response, which it rarely does.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I don't mind the spoonfeeding requests as much as the "Will you do my homework for me?" requests...
-TinaP

I find them troublesome too, but for a different reason... *temptation* I am always tempted to post erroneous advice :diablo: And there is a direct correlation between the urgency of the poster and the level of my temptation. If they sound really desparate (or better yet they're actually in the middle of taking a "certification" test - yes, it's happened) I just have to repeat under my breath "don't sully the board's reputation...don't sully the board's reputation..." and mouse away.

litrelord wrote, "If you're the kind of person who just wants the answer and doesn't care about the how or why that's also fine but you're less likely to get help in the first instance and less likely to be able to adapt it for your own use. "

I sometimes get answers here that I think of as "Flux Capacitors". Dr. Brown in Back to the Future didn't know how it worked, and neither do I, but I do save them, and they come in quite handy.

I mostly want results, and I don't have a VBA education, so what I can't figure out on my own, I come here to the well and beg for answers.

I am very thankful for the answers I get. The people that use my "Toys" think I'm a guru. Little do they know.

God bless this board.
I recently visited another and decided to register. Boy! talk about getting read the riot act! "Don't do this - nor this - nor this! Don't waste our time or we'll de-list you, etc., etc. I'm sure that there are those that would test the patience of Job, but I have always been treated with respect by all of you and I suspect that your gracious behaviour, (en toto), has a lot to do with why this is the number one board in the world of Excel. I am not at the stage, (yet), of being able to offer advice, but when I get there, I will remember that it was once I who needed frequent help, (and always received it in multiples), and as such, I will endeavour to pay back my debt.
With great respect,
Vince

I usually categorize these types of posts.

Category 1.
If is easy, I will whip up a quick solution for the OP.

Category 2.
Challenging or Interesting. Maybe something I've always want to try, and have never really need at my job. 'course eventually it seems to come in handy.

If it's something difficult that I've done before, I will usually give it a pass, or maybe point them in the right direction instead of giving them a solution. One of the main reason's I do this is to increase my own skills when nothing much is going on at work.

Cal

What I really like about this site is that, if you want to learn, there are plenty of gurus to get you going. I remember being blown away by the answers to my first post. It was a (tricky for me) formula. In 5 minutes, I had 3 different answers. I was hooked. Now, it's great to be able to help others but I still throw in the occasional Q myself.

Personally, I'm happy to put in the effort for someone who genuinely seems to be trying to figure it out. Sometimes I'll give the spoonfeed, sometimes it's a nudge or two to get the OP to rethink their strategy. Sometimes they started by asking the wrong question.

Category 2.
Challenging or Interesting
Sometimes the best way to learn is to stretch yourself, trying to answer something new.

Regardless, those who grab answers, put them on place and pop up later asking the same question, get put onto my mental "ignore" list.

Denis

What I really like about this site is that, if you want to learn, there are plenty of gurus to get you going.
That's very true. This site took me from knowing the basic formulas into advanced VBA thanks to the people who gave their time to me. That's why I still hang around and help where I can. I feel like I should pay a little back.

Everyone here has been gracious beyond all belief--even when I have been ignorant beyond words. There have been times when I have felt that I don't have the correct vocabulary to express what I need, and everyone has been kind and helpful, until I could communicate clearly. This is the best place ever!

Perhaps the most frustrating are questions which make absolutely no sense, the OP clearly has no comprehension of how to explain the problem he/she has or even what they expect to achieve. How do they ever expect to get an answer which they will really understand?

Perhaps the solution is to respond with an equally useless statement and get them off the unanswered posts list!

Personally I find I learn more by trying to help people, even if it's something I already know, it can reinforce the methods in my brain of something I don't use very often.

Real Problem

I think the reason that most people don't post real problems on here is that no one ever answer them. I posted one a couple of days ago on the Technical Issues.....but no one helps.

My problem is that I can longer create charts in my Excel 2007. It worked fine last week and now won't do anything. I am an Accounting student and REALLY NEED TO GET MY ASSIGNMENT DONE!!!

I have tried Microsoft help but I can' afford $49.95 for someone to help me. I thought they had great support before, but the new one is a real joke......

Amy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back