Finding a file with a non-latin alphabet name in a folder

Kuba_

Hi,

What I'm trying to accomplish is to find and open a file (actually an outlook message) located in a specified folder. I menaged to do that when my file name is in latin alphabet language. The problem is to do so if the name is in language which uses diacritics or some symbols (Hungarian, Chinese etc.). A very simply solution is to store a name in some cell and refer to its value in the code, but I would rather avoid that as I believe it's hands-on, but rather not so smart solution, even if I hide this cell deeply.

With a huge help of @wideboydixon and @pgc01 (Thanks and regards!) I menaged to encode a name of file I'm trying to find (I've chose hexadecimal system as it fits my needs and this macro is way easier to understand, but many thanks anyway to @wideboydixon).

Now, I have to find this file in a folder and then to open it.

I figured out I can create a list (actually an array) of files' names or even their haxadecimal equivalents. Then I can find my string in this list and return an index of array in which it is stored. Now, I wonder if its any way to refer to a corresponding object in the collection of files by index? In fact, is there anything like that (I mean: "collection of files"). I can't refer by a name since it's hexademical now or assigned to a variable loses actual text.

Maybe there is some other and simpler way to find such a file in folder?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnS_323

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back