Links to cells in other Workbooks occasionally change the WORKSHEET reference. Why?

GTS

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
In Brief – Excel links to cells in other Workbooks occasionally change the WORKSHEET reference within the link formula. Why?

In Detail
We use an Excel template for estimating purposes. A typical project has 10 to 30 estimate files.
Each of these Estimating files has a MASTER worksheet and a couple dozen BREAKOUT worksheets (BREAKOUT 1, BREAKOUT 2, etc).
The Master worksheet and the Breakout worksheets are identical in structure and there are many common ‘local’ Named Ranges (cells) in use.
We have a Summary template that will pull approx. 30 values from each of the Estimate files (one row per Estimate file). Every cell references has a Named Range.
Therefore, the Summary file for a project could have 300 to 900 links in it. I do know that links can be ‘taxing’ on Excel.
We always place the Summary file in the same folder as the Estimate files.

The links in the summary file are constructed from the Path, File name, Worksheet name, Cell reference (Named Range).
Eg =@’https://myco.sharepoint.com/Sh Doc/Sales/Projects/Some Company/Quote No & What it is/Est/Rev 2/[File Name]Worksheet Name’!Cell’s Named Range
Note that this is a SharePoint path (and has been for 4 years now). Worksheet Name should always be “MASTER”.

Estimate files will be worked on for a couple weeks typically. During this time, files are opened, changed, closed constantly.
From observation, we’ve noted that Excel will “abbreviate” the link formula when the Estimate file is open. The path is dropped.
The formula collapses to =@’[File Name]Worksheet Name’!Cell’s Named Range **if** the cell is a local Named Range.
The formula collapses to =@’File Name’!Cell’s Named Range **if** the cell is a global Named Range.
If the file is closed, the full – path/file name/worksheet name/cell – does return.
In addition, I should point out that we work with these files thru a OneDrive Sync to the SharePoint files.

Now, here’s where the weird behavior occasionally rears its head.
Every now and again, we’ll get a row in the Summary file where some of the link formulas show that the worksheet name MASTER has changed to BREAKOUT 1.
The link is still valid since both Worksheets have the same Named Range on them. The value of that cell though can be wildly different.
The links that connect to a cell with a global Named Range always work. I have not observed those ever changing.

It seems that somewhere along the way, Excel loses track of the Worksheet name, then goes looking for the Named Range but since it is not a global name, it finds the first occurrence of the local name which happens to be on BREAKOUT 1 (alphabetically). At least, that’s the only sense I can make as to why it is that particular Worksheet that it changes to. Eg – If my MASTER Worksheet name was called AMASTER, would I have ever seen this problem?

I’m wondering if others have seen this behavior. For us, it is rare, but can be devastating if not caught. For the moment, I’ve built some error checks into my Summary file.
I’m not sure, but I don’t think this happened before we moved our files to SharePoint.
Is the SharePoint – OneDrive sync the issue?
Is this a Microsoft glitch?
Anything else that could trigger this? Eg – Memory resources tapped out.

I know that there are a couple of easy fixes I could apply, but my challenge is maintaining backwards compatibility. We reuse files that can be a decade old or more. I haven’t had time to investigate this very much yet. One attempt to change the cell name on the MASTER worksheet from being a local name to a global name caused a minor blowup.

Looking forward to comments, insight, experiences etc that people can share.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I didn't read your whole post. I have a strong dislike for hyperlinks, just because they change the location randomly. If a named range changes file location reference, that may be due to you having that file open and "Saving AS". I haven't had any experiences with Sheet names changing in links.

On all of my workbooks where I rely on hyperlinks to open other workbooks, I created a macro that gets triggered on double click to open the PathFile from the cell. It works every time and doesn't change the path or filename.

Jeff

Upvote 0
Note - My posting shows part of the LINK FORMULA as a hyperlink. Seems that happened automatically. I am not using hyperlinks. It is a formula.
How can I edit that...

Upvote 0
Yeah, Excel tries to interpret text as hyperlinks. You can right click and remove hyperlink. Disable auto hyperlinks below
1715185087895.png

Upvote 0
Ok, this is what my link formula looks like in Excel (without the space in https).

=@’ht tps://myco.sharepoint.com/Sh Doc/Sales/Projects/Some Company/Quote No & What it is/Est/Rev 2/[File Name]Worksheet Name’!Cell’s Named Range

Upvote 0
Ok, so the cell text is blue and underlined showing that it is a hyperlink, right? Right-Click on the cell and choose Remove Hyperlink.

If that's not what you're asking about, I'll need more clarification.

Upvote 0
Ok, so the cell text is blue and underlined showing that it is a hyperlink, right? Right-Click on the cell and choose Remove Hyperlink.
No... it is not blue. It is not underlined. Clicking on the cell does not go anywhere. It is the PATH to the other Workbook (plus filename, worksheet, cell).

Upvote 0
No... it is not blue. It is not underlined. Clicking on the cell does not go anywhere. It is the PATH to the other Workbook (plus filename, worksheet, cell).

Too vague based on what your description to say what that link really is. Click once on the cell in question, then press F2, then PrtScn. This will take a screenshot. Post the screenshot to the thread so we can see exactly what's inside that cell.

Also you might want to consolidate your original posting above. Most people don't enjoy reading a wall of text. Try to summarize the problem and your specific request succinctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The formula (without the auto hyperlink applied by mistake) was reposted above.

Ok, starting over.

Problem - A formula which links data from a cell in another workbook occasionally changes the Worksheet name. Result - Incorrect data.
Question - Why would this happen?

Here is the representative formula:
1715257926690.png

Below - Here is a true example (redacted).
1715258912814.png

Issue - The Worksheet name should always be MASTER. It occasionally changes to BREAKOUT 1.

An Observation - When this happens, the Cell Named Range is a Local name, not Global. I have not seen this problem happen with formulas that link to Global Named Ranges.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately this thread got derailed by part of my formula getting auto-changed into a hyperlink. I have posed my question to the MS support community. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back