Extract Unique Records Based on Date Instances

legalhustler

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I'm looking for a dynamic spilled array formula (and/or even a Power Query solution) to extract unique ID records based on the Date column.

The first two records for ID 123 would be considered one unique record because they ordered milk on 2/5/24 and received it on 2/7/24 (the subsequent date is always considered the received date), a complete order. The last two records for ID 123 would be considered another unique record because ID 123 ordered milk again on 2/10/24 and received it on 2/11/24. Eggs and Apple for ID 123 and 777, respectively, were ordered but not received so they would also be considered unique records (just not a complete order).

DateIDAmountFood
2/5/24123$100Milk
2/7/24123$100Milk
2/5/24123$100Eggs
2/5/24888$50Cookies
2/6/24888$50Cookies
2/12/24777$100Apple
2/10/24123$100Milk
2/11/24123$100Milk

Here is what the result should look like:

IDAmountFood
123$100Milk
123$100Eggs
888$50Cookies
123$100Milk
777$75Apple

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Is the order date always listed before the received date?

It seems like you could create a new column that combines the ID and Food into one value (I'd call it ID_Food), , then use a UNIQUE formula to get the complete list of ID_Food values, then use some INDEX-MATCH or XLOOKUP formulas to get the rest.

I'll use table references below, since I don't know what columns or rows you might be using. You'd either need to make that original info a table and adjust the Table1 reference below, or use other cell references instead.

ID_FOOD column:
Excel Formula:
=[@ID] & "_" & [@FOOD]

Unique Formula:
Excel Formula:
=UNIQUE(Table1[ID_FOOD])

Then INDEX MATCH example:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(Table1[ID], MATCH({Cell of your Unique formula}, Table1[ID_Food], 0))

Upvote 0
If it is true that the "order date always listed before the received date" then you could try this (not an elegant formula but might work):

=TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|";;LET(array;A1:C8;join;SCAN("";BYROW(array;LAMBDA(a;TEXTJOIN(";";2;a)));LAMBDA(a;b;IF(a=b;"";b)));FILTER(join;join<>"")));";";"|") where you replace A1:C8 with your array...

Upvote 0
Sorry, one more with commas:

=TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,LET(array,F22:H29,join,SCAN("",BYROW(array,LAMBDA(a,TEXTJOIN(";",1,a))),LAMBDA(a,b,IF(a=b,"",b)));FILTER(join,join<>""))),";","|")

Upvote 0
Sorry, one more with commas:

=TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,LET(array,F22:H29,join,SCAN("",BYROW(array,LAMBDA(a,TEXTJOIN(";",1,a))),LAMBDA(a,b,IF(a=b,"",b)));FILTER(join,join<>""))),";","|")
Order date is always listed before the received date.

What columns does F22:H29 refer to? What is the complete formula? I didn't understand the comma part.

Assume the data I have are from A1:D9

Upvote 0
Also important to note - the Date column is in sequential order that way you know if something is ordered and/or received. In the table above, for ID 777 the date should have been 2/8/24 and not 2/12/24

Upvote 0
The complete formula is =TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,LET(array,F22:H29,join,SCAN("",BYROW(array,LAMBDA(a,TEXTJOIN(";",1,a))),LAMBDA(a,b,IF(a=b,"",b)));FILTER(join,join<>""))),";","|")

As order date is always listed before the received date, you may ignore column with dates completely, i.e. replace F22:H29 with B1:D9.

Upvote 0
The complete formula is =TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,LET(array,F22:H29,join,SCAN("",BYROW(array,LAMBDA(a,TEXTJOIN(";",1,a))),LAMBDA(a,b,IF(a=b,"",b)));FILTER(join,join<>""))),";","|")

As order date is always listed before the received date, you may ignore column with dates completely, i.e. replace F22:H29 with B1:D9.
I did as you stated but it doesn't even recognize it as a formula (see below). I even included the headers (row 1) and without the headers (row 2) but it can't recognize it as a formula still.

=TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,LET(array,B1:D9,join,SCAN("",BYROW(array,LAMBDA(a,TEXTJOIN(";",1,a))),LAMBDA(a,b,IF(a=b,"",b)));FILTER(join,join<>""))),";","|")

FYI - I have all those functions in my version of Excel too

Upvote 0
Hagia_Sofia's formula still has one semicolon in it that needs to be switched to a comma:
Excel Formula:
=TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",TRUE,LET(array,A1:D9,join,SCAN("",BYROW(array,LAMBDA(a,TEXTJOIN(";",1,a))),LAMBDA(a,b,IF(a=b,"",b))),FILTER(join,join<>""))),";","|")

But I don't think this will give you what you want, since it's not filtering out the received dates. Also, I don't think you can keep the date formatting with this formula, but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Hagia_Sofia's formula still has one semicolon in it that needs to be switched to a comma:
Excel Formula:
=TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",TRUE,LET(array,A1:D9,join,SCAN("",BYROW(array,LAMBDA(a,TEXTJOIN(";",1,a))),LAMBDA(a,b,IF(a=b,"",b))),FILTER(join,join<>""))),";","|")

But I don't think this will give you what you want, since it's not filtering out the received dates. Also, I don't think you can keep the date formatting with this formula, but I could be wrong.
It is true both in relation to the semicolon (try: TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN("|",,LET(array,B2:D9,join,SCAN("",BYROW(array,LAMBDA(a,TEXTJOIN(";",1,a))),LAMBDA(a,b,IF(a=b,"",b))),FILTER(join,join<>""))),";","|")) and in the latter part as it does not return dates - but was it not the original intention?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anthx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back