Basic Time Card Calculation

jacob42685

I created a calculator where I can enter in a total number of worked ours for a day and add each day. I would like to add a cell which will tell me what day and time a person will need to leave by to avoid overtime (any hours/mins over 40 hours). Below is what I currently have setup:

6293565968_6ebbf1071b.jpg

I want cell C11 to display the day of the week and time a person would need to leave by to avoid going over 40 total hours for the week. I would assume I would have to put in that persons schedule, but I'm not sure exactly how it would have to be setup.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Welcome Jacob,

You are correct that some scheduling information is needed. In my example below I have added a start and end time each day. My assumption is the person either gets no lunch break or is paid for their lunch break.

Sheet1

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; FONT-SIZE: 11pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 30px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><COL style="WIDTH: 80px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 106px"><COL style="WIDTH: 127px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD><TD>C</TD><TD>D</TD><TD>E</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">1</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">2</TD><TD>Day</TD><TD>Start</TD><TD>Finish</TD><TD>Hour Daily Total</TD><TD>Hour Running Total</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">3</TD><TD>Monday</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0:00:00</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">4</TD><TD>Tuesday</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7:30</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">15:00</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7:30</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7:30:00</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">5</TD><TD>Wednesday</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7:30</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">15:49</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">8:19</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">15:49:00</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">6</TD><TD>Thursday</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7:30</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">15:46</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">8:16</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">24:05:00</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">7</TD><TD>Friday</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7:30</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">15:46</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">8:16</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">32:21:00</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">8</TD><TD>Saturday</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7:30</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">32:21:00</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">9</TD><TD>Sunday</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">10</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Total</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">32:21:00</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">11</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Saturday 15:09</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Cell D3 has the following formula copied down through D9:

Code:
=IF(C3="","",C3-B3)

Cell E3 has the following formula copied down through E9

Code:
=SUM($D$3:D3)

Cell E11 is blank until the sum of the daily hours totals exceeds 31 hours. When that happens, it determines the next day and how long after the starting time of the next day the person can work until they reach 40 hours.

Code:
=IF(SUM(D3:D9)>31/24,INDEX(A3:A9,MATCH(9.9999E+307,D3:D9,1)+1)&" "&TEXT(INDEX(B3:B9,MATCH(9.9999E+307,D3:D9,1)+1)+(40/24)-SUM(D3:D9),"hh:mm"),"")

Is this what you are looking for?

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Priti_190

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back