Problem with chart's legend when pasting link

dmagnus

Board Regular
I am using Excel '07 with Windows7. I have an Excel chart that is graphing 6 data series. The legend shows all 6 data series, though I don't want the name of one of them to show. So I click inside the legend and delete one of the series' names (still want the graphed data, just not the name in the legend). I then copy the chart, go to my PowerPoint '07 document, and select Paste Special - Past Link (I want the graphs linked to the Excel document). However, when I do this, the deleted data series label is still showing in the legend! Also, one of the other data series labels is missing from the legend!

If I simply select Paste in Powerpoint the legend looks correct. I've tried simply pasting in a blank Excel workbook and regular "paste" looks fine. Though if I try to paste as an Enhanced Metafile in Excel it pastes the "bad" legend.

Also, I just closed the document and re-opened...and now the legend on the graph is showing the "bad" legend (ie. missing a data series and is showing the previoiusly-deleted data label). ARGH!

Can anyone tell me what might be going on? Any suggestions to fix or do correctly?

Thanks, Dan

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
I can't reproduce that behaviour with Excel 2007 and PowerPoint 2007, both SP2. I tried it with the last legend entry and the one before last.

Upvote 0
Thanks for checking, though it still leaves me perplexed. I guess I'll keep researching and trying to either find a solution or a work-around.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back