tally marks

Theadish

How hard would it be to count a range and then show tally marks in the 5 count style of 4 vertical lines and a diagonal going through them? I assume in vb I could do a count then output four 1's and add strikethrough font on count = 5, then keep doing that in adjacent cells until the count has been reached. I think I could handle that, but is there possibly an easier way? Thanks for the help!

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Perhaps using Roman numarals I, II, III, IIII, V would be an acceptable alternate? It would be much simpler than the strikthrough, and very readable. Or, perhaps you would prefer the symbol on the Shift+\ , giving |, ||, |||, ||||, and finishing with V.

Upvote 0
Theadish, I had a look at this the other day. I'm sure that you could do it with formulas alone. Combinantions of MOD & DIV equivalent (i.e INT(x/n) as DIV does not seem to exist in Excel 2000). Conditional formatting can then be used to apply a strikeout font attribute when there are 5 lines in the cell.

VBA would be a doddle i'm sure. I like the challenge of getting it to work with formulas. What would be the maximum number you would want to convert to this format.

Upvote 0
Pretty much as Miles described. Formula and Conditional Format from B1 is copied across and down. The CF format in the display below does not show it but the Format is simply "strikethrough" on the Font tab.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
Tally Marks
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
B11. / Formula is =COLUMNS($B1:B1)<=$A1/5Abc

Upvote 0
Peter, you are astounding! Your solution is ingenius, elegant, and complete! Wow!

Upvote 0
Peter, Nice one. I was trying the COLUMNS($A1:A1) approach but I ended up with no success. Thought i'd sorted it driving home on Friday but can i remember what that was! Thank you for making me aware of CHOOSE; i was using REPT.

Upvote 0
Pretty much as Miles described. Formula and Conditional Format from B1 is copied across and down. The CF format in the display below does not show it but the Format is simply "strikethrough" on the Font tab.

Tally Marks

ABCDEFG

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:56px;"><col style="width:56px;"><col style="width:56px;"><col style="width:56px;"><col style="width:56px;"><col style="width:56px;"><col style="width:56px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
B1=IF(COLUMNS($B1:B1)<=$A1/5,1111,IF(COLUMNS($B1:B1)=ROUNDUP($A1/5,0),CHOOSE(MOD($A1,5),1,11,111,1111),""))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Conditional formatting
CellNr.: / ConditionFormat
B11. / Formula is =COLUMNS($B1:B1)<=$A1/5Abc

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Please tell me how to count the number of tally marks in column A.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back