Your thoughts? Google takes on Microsoft with new Chrome O/S

Tom Urtis

MrExcel MVP
There is a slow but steady groundswell of competing operating systems to address user's concerns about Windows security and bugs.

Google Chrome is touted as faster and more Web-friendly than Windows, supporting cloud computing and will be available as open-source technology, supposedly coming in 4 to 6 months.
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<!--endclickprintinclude-->Unclear how it will affect API programs but Chrome is worth knowing about given Google's resources to get a product off the ground, and the likelihood of it getting some market share...how much satisifed market share is the question.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...Chrome_OS_poses_long_term_threat_to_Microsoft

and

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10281744-2.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.1

and

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/07/08/google.chrome.os/index.html

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Interesting times! I think a lot of people who only occasionally use their home PC for much more than surfing the net and the odd spot of word-processing, image work etc will be seriously tempted by this. Especially if MS manage to successfully implement the web based version of Office that they've been talking about.

Dom

Could be interesting indeed. When Firefox launched, IE had over 90% of the browser market. Now FF3 is the biggest browser version in Europe and the global FF share is over 20%.
Admittedly an OS is a different thing entirely, and MS has a head start with Windows 7 which is slated to ship by the end of July, but this article makes some valid comments.

Denis

There's a lot of hype here about Goliath being taken on by David - albiet a tall, athletic David with fresh ideas on how to build a catapult.

I don't believe that Google, or anyone for that matter - and I'm a linux user, could come up with an OS to compete directly with Windows in such a short time. Long term yes and Google has to begin somewhere.

If, as I also believe, Chrome OS is being built (initially) as a means to get a computer (netbook, laptop or desktop) booted up and running the Chrome browser ASAP without all the code/files not needed by the browser then i'll have a slice of that. I already dual boot Vista with Ubuntu quite happily.

I have not checked Vista's EULA to see if I'm forbidden from dual booting Vista with a non-MS OS!

Competition is usually good for the consumer.

Miles

This is a very exciting prospect, having now been a google g1 mobile user for a few months. Google just seem to be able to make things work and keep the end user permanently in the front of their minds. The android platform is fantastic and is a serious contender to the iPhone, the best part being that you don't have to buy a new phone everytime they decide to upgrade their software! If they put as much effort and consideration into a new OS, I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to take on Microsoft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back