you have to program every output, right?

kylefoley76

When designing a computer program, you have to define all inputs, and each input has to have one output, right?

Moreover, a computer can not perform an output that it has not been programmed for, right?

I need to know this for a debate on artificial intelligence and philosophy of mind.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
what about a computer can't perform an output that it hasn't been programmed for?

also I would think the equals sign would be the input. everything to left of the equal sign is the input, everything to the right of the sign is an output.

everything to left of the equal sign is the input, everything to the right of the sign is an output.
Input is collective and outputs are counted? I reckon if you get to fashion your own definitions, most anything is true.

what about a computer can't perform an output that it hasn't been programmed for?
That is trivially true, until you start playing with semantics.

Last edited:
ok, what about in artificial intelligence you would have to define every input. A computer cannot define a new input on its own, right?

Also still waiting about whether or not a computer can perform an output that it hasn't been programmed for.

ok, what about in artificial intelligence you would have to define every input
Just to keep this grounded, suppose you provide a concrete example?

I'd argue the point that when two or more outputs conflict (bug/glitch), then an output that has not been exclusively programmed can occur.

about the bugs: they usually just cause the computer to stall, right? in any case, they certainly do something unwanted.

re a precise example: let's say the computer is designed such that it "knows" or can handle a finite list of 20K english words. if it encounters a foreign word not on that list, it can't do anything, right?

about the bugs: they usually just cause the computer to stall, right? in any case, they certainly do something unwanted.

Stalls are the least of the worries. I can remember times when playing video games where sometimes text and numbers would be replaces with other sprites (pictures). If I reset the game and made it back to that same point, that glitch may (or may not) occur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back