XML forum?

TrippyTom

Hi,

I was wondering if we could start an XML forum so we could share examples of sharing data between Office programs and/or other programs. Office2003 allows XML features but I don't think many people know about it or think it's too complicated to bother with.

For a newbie like me, it does seem complicated, but that's probably because Microsoft didn't explain it very well. For such an advanced feature, one would think they would try to spend more time on it in their help files. In fact, this site explained it better than Microsoft did: http://www.mrexcel.com/tip064.shtml

Anyway, what do you think? Is there any interest in automation with XML? Or is this site specifically for Excel only?

Apparently there's no interest in this at all?
58 views and no replies.

hmm...

Maybe the 58 views / no replies is because most people on this site haven't been impacted much by XML. I've seen enough around the edges to think it's worth knowing about, but until Office 2007 rolls out and gets a decent user base most people will probably just ignore it.

You touched on 2 reasons in the original post --
1. It's pretty intimidating when you see the tag soup
2. MS didn't do a great job of explaining it

But there are a number of other reasons too --
3. Unless you use 2003 Professional, most of the functionality just isn't there.
4. Repeat 1 and 2.

The MrExcel tut is one of the better ones I have seen, but until the complexity is handled using one or more cool tools (read, Wizards that work properly) -- that come with the Office installation -- people are probably going to ignore it.

Sad, but...

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back