xlt Template

pliant

Board Regular
I saved my workbook as an xlt and i thought that this forced the user to save it under a new name when they go to save.

however when i open it and save, it just saves it to the xlt file again...is there a setting in the xlt that needs to be set to prevent it being overwritten?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
From Excel Help:

Excel does not save a file in template format if you type the .xlt file extension in a file name. To save a file as a template, click Save As on the File menu. In the Save as type box, click Template. In the Save in list, locate and click the location where you want to save the template. In the File name box, enter a file name, and then click Save.

To make the template available in the Templates dialog box (General Templates..., New Workbook task pane), save custom templates in the Templates folder. If you save the file to a different location, you can only open the file, not use it as a template. Save the default workbook template (Book.xlt) and the default sheet template (Sheet.xlt) in the XLStart folder or the alternate startup folder. The Templates folder is usually

C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

and the XLStart folder is usually

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TravisCaldaia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back