Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings! Every time I open Excel, I get the following message:
1660739061956.png

Since there is no C:\Downloads folder,
1660739844064.png

I went to the Add-ins and removed xl2bb from the list.
1660739114573.png

I selected OK and then closed Excel to see if that solved the issue. Nope, I get the same message and it was back in the list of add-ins available!
So I tried a different approach. I copied the xl2bb add-in to the default Microsoft Add-ins folder and selected it from there. That didn't work either - the same message appears. So what's the solution? How can I get Excel to find the right location of the add-in? Business policy has the registry locked down, so that option is not available.

I created the folder C:\Downloads and copied the xl2bb.xlam file into this folder, installed in Excel as explained, and quit Excel.

Then I deleted the C:\Downloads folder. Relaunched Excel, and I got this:

1660741126390.png

I clicked on OK and opened File->Options->Add-ins

1660741239841.png

Then Manage->Excel Add-ins->Go.
Xl2Bb was checked in the Add-ins dialog. I cleared the checkbox and I got the following message:

1660741319052.png

This is the important step: I clicked Yes, then clicked OK to close the Add-ins dialog, and quit Excel.

Finally, I relaunched Excel, and XL2BB has gone away.

This is the best way to remove an add-in. If it still doesn't work for some reason possibly related to the business policy restricted computer, then I would create C:\Downloads, copy the add-in file there, open Excel Add-ins, disable XL2BB, close Excel, delete C:\Downloads, relaunch Excel, see the error complaining the file doesn't exist, go to add-ins again, and click on the XL2BB item that will warn about "missing file" again, and click Yes to remove from the list. The close & open Excel. (Basically what I did above without the initial installation step since your Excel still thinks that it is installed in that location).

Well, this is what happens when one doesn't challenge one's assumptions. I assumed that since I could no longer see a Downloads folder that the policy of the place where I work had changed so that we employees could no longer have a Downloads folder. Smozgur, your answer inspired me to at least try to create the Downloads folder and I was able to (woohoo!). I moved the xlsbb add-in to that folder and was able to successfully open Excel without getting the warning window.
Would there be any issues if I put a copy of xlsbb in the default MS add-in folder? I'm not really sure just how long the Downloads folder will stick around.

You can put the add-in anywhere you like (that your application/user has read access). First, remove the add-in as I explained, then move the file to the desired location, and complete the installation as explained in the XL2BB page.

Honestly, to avoid many add-in installation difficulties, I would just put it into the XLSTART folder as also explained in the XL2BB page. It just works. You just need to remember that you have to delete the file from that application folder when you want to remove the add-in from your computer.

Thanks again for the help! I've taken your advice and followed the steps on how to put the file into the XLSTART folder. The spreadsheet opens with no issues and the add-in is there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KunalGandhi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back