Worksheet

sythong

Is it possible for the forum board to have downloadable spreadheet attachments instead of the HTML creator. That way one can work on the spreadsheet itself without having to retype.

Perhaps I might not be aware that this can be done with the Colo creator?

Hi,

If you mean as an attachment, no, not currently. That is up to the board Administrator(s) to allow for attachments or not. But with thte size of this board, that could very well double or even triple it's size. And with it's current size, that would cost big bucks. That's if I understood you correclty.

Also, IMHO, using an attachment increases laziness. Because it's easy to post some stuff like

'In the attached file, how can I do A1 = 1 ?'

I'm not saying that it couldn't help sometimes, but, again, my opinion on the subject. (Not to mention viruses, bandwith and server space...)

Thanks for the comments on this.

I am unable to speak for other but from my personal experience I seem to be unable to get correct answers while trying out some of the posted problems (especially those with bigger files) .
(Perhaps my eyesight is failing me?)

I felt that if an attachment is included (like Ozgrid) then one would not
be susceptible to erroneous keying-in.

Hi Sythong,

Your comments are perfectly valid. Yes, it would be useful to have an attachment capability on the site.

However, to do so requires two major things -

1) Time. Amending a PHP forum like this to take attachments takes a lot of time to set up. You've got to edit a lot of files and make a lot of changes. I know. I'm in the process of doing this for my website.

2) Money. And lots of it. I dread to think what MrExcels' bandwidth costs are a month - the number of users here at any one time is astronomical. To add in the capability for attachments would at the very least double or triple the bandwidth costs. MrExcel is a business. How can a business justify this kind of expense? Easy. Don't.

Then we move onto Juan's points. Virus protection. Server Space. Laziness of the customers on the site. Yep. Yep. Yep. All factors that will have been considered.

If the ability to attach files to your posts is a problem... why not upload to a site somewhere (yahoo and freewebs offer free webspace, among hundreds of others), and link to it that way? Doesn't cost you any cash (just a bit of time), and doesn't cost MrExcel any more cash either. Result!

Just my $0.02... please don't flame me... :coffee:

Ad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KENNETH ROGERS

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back