WORDLE Helper In Excel - Solve Wordle Faster! - Episode 2462

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Jan 23, 2022.
I love the Wordle game. One game a day. Three minutes. As I played for the first week, I wondered if Excel could help. It can!

Note that this workbook requires a recent Excel version due to the FILTER formula. You either need Microsoft 365 or Office 2021.
Download the workbook from here:
Watch the video for details on how to use the workbook.

Play Wordle Here: Wordle - A daily word game
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
I'm about 8 days in and I'm addicted. This is a WORDLE helper in Excel.
This is our episode 2462. Welcome back to the MrExcel netcast.
I am Bill Jelen.
And for those of you who have been playing WORDLE - I have a great Excel helpe today. It helps figure out what words are still in play.
Here's a recent game from this past week. I started out and I guessed AUDIO.
The grey tiles mean there's no A, no U, no D, no O.
There is an “i” but it's not in the fourth position.
So right now, 8938 words in the Scrabble dictionary that are five letter words.
We come over here to the Gray column and we know it's not an A, so we put a one there.
We know it's not a U. We know it's not a D.
We know it's not an O. And the “i”.
Let's find the “i” - come over here and say there is an “i”, but it's not in the fourth position.
So now we're down to 920 words left. My next guest that particular day was TIRES.
So I type in TIRES and they tell me it's not a T, not an R, not an S.
There is an E, but it's not in the fourth position.
And the “i” is now known, it's in the second position.
So let's handle that one first. The “i” must be in the second position.
There's no T.
There's no R. There is no S.
And we know that there is an E, but it's not in the fourth position.
This is good. Now we're down to 23 words.
But think about it, they're not going to use words that no one's ever heard of.
At least they it wouldn't be popular if they did. So it's probably not YINCE, right?
And you can, you know, look through these and figure out which ones are common words.
On that particular day, I guessed NIECE.
And they tell me that N is in there but not in the first position. We still know that “i” is in the second position.
We now know that C is in the fourth position. We know that E is in the fifth position.
Alright, now, hey, don't get tripped up here by this second E right.
When you get a Gray E here, all that's telling you is that there's not an E in the third position, and there's not 2 E’s.
But this logic doesn't handle “There is not two E’s”.
So since we already know that E is here in five, it's not necessary to put it that it's not in three.
Although you could do that right? And now we're down to mince, wince, yince, right?
I've never heard of yince. So it's down to mince or wince.
And on that particular day, this is before I had the helper, I guessed wince just because it seemed less likely than mince, and I got it in four. I've tried it with all of the games that I played.
This helps a lot. It narrows it down.
It doesn't solve it for you, it's still fun. It just gives you a list of possibilities.
Down in the YouTube description is the link. You can download this, it's free.
Watch the version number here. I have ideas of how to improve it over time.
Now, if you love Excel, check out my new courses on the Retrieve platform.
They're video courses, but you just type what you're looking for.
It takes you right to that spot in the video.
And there's a complete transcript in several languages. It's a super fast way to learn.
If you like these Excel videos, please, down below, Like, Subscribe, Ring the Bell.
Feel free to post any questions or comments down in the comments below.
I want to thank you for stopping by. Have fun with WORDLE everyday - I'm having fun.

Thank you for the Wordle Helper, I'm using version 2022.23.01.b - This morning I found a problem with the worksheet and wonder if you can help? The word of the day was "ELDER". I started with "AROSE" and the worksheet functioned normally as I entered as "None" - A, O, & S and as I put "Here but Not in 2" - R, but when I entered "Here but Not in 5" - E the program removed ELDER from the list of possible words.

Hello Jerrie
I am uploading version 2022.01.27a. It handles ELDER. Sorry for misleading you on today's puzzle.
I am working on a new solver, and that solver also got tripped up with words that have a duplicate letter. I fixed that issue and even triplicate letter from MOMMA.
Bill

Thank you for your prompt response to my question. I've downloaded 2022.01.27.a and noticed that, when opened on my MacBook Pro, it only shows 2322 possible words with nothing entered into the worksheet. The previous version (2022.23.01.b) shows 8938 words with nothing in the worksheet. I assume there are 8938 five letter words in the dictionary, so I'm guessing the new version has a default filter being applied? Thanks again for this amazing tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirofa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back