Windows Email notification irritation

Richard Schollar

MrExcel MVP
Hi All

Embarrassed about asking about this, but I have somehow managed to disable the little email icon that used to show up in the Notification area of the Taskbar (ie the bit where the system clock is displayed) when I had a new unread email sat in my inbox. I haven't been able to find a way to re-enable it - can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
In Windows XP, I do the following:

1. Right-click the notification area and select Properties
2. Press the Customise button
3. In the Name column you should see the email notification. Next to it will be the behaviour, which it sounds like is currently set to "Always Hide". Change this to "Hide when inactive".

Hi Neil

Unfortunately it hasn't made any difference (it was already on "Hide when inactive" but I clicked it off and on a couple of times to make sure. I tried rebooting too, just in case, but nothing :-(

Haha! Somehow, and I'm not sure how, the option in Outlook under Tools>Options>Preferences tab, Email Options>Advanced Email Options> "Show an envelope icon in the notification area" had become unchecked! I definitely hadn't meddled with that. Anyway, all fixed now. Neil - thanks for your help :-)

Somehow, and I'm not sure how... I definitely hadn't meddled with that.

Now, Richard...

Don't we all, when a poster says that he has no idea how, for example, -automatic calculation got turned off, and that it must be some quirk with Excel- think to ourselves, "Yea, right...it was user error, buddy." :wink: haha

Now, Richard...

Don't we all, when a poster says that he has no idea how, for example, -automatic calculation got turned off, and that it must be some quirk with Excel- think to ourselves, "Yea, right...it was user error, buddy." :wink: haha

I'm convinced it was the little green Martians came down in their flying saucer and zapped my computer!

;-)

Neil - thanks for your help

No problem but seeing as my suggestion didn't solve the prob, I don't think my post qualifies as 'help'!
if it is allowed to throw a comment ...

help is also "psychologic"
to know that there is at least somone who shares a bit the trouble you encounter is already useful
so even if your post didn't solve the problem itself, you gave "fresh courage-energy" to Richard :-D

kind regards,
Erik

Now that you mention it though - you may have been completely innocent. That happened to 3 people in my department recently and I was starting to wonder if this was a big conspiracy to try and annoy me when it happened to me too.

Perhaps there's some windows update or something similar that happened recently that would have changed it?

Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beraned1218

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back