Wierd problem

onew0rd

I have data that is causing my DB (in MS Access 97) to crash. I have isolated the problem to one field in one record. Every time you navigate there via a form, Access exits. Everytime I navigate there in the table, it crashes. I attempted to copy the record, the table, and even importing...all with the same results! I was able to copy the structure, and perform surgery on the data to migrate it over (without the one problem record). This seems like an acceptable solution, but out of curiosity, what could this be?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hullo. Not really sure this is a complete answer but, here are some thoughts. As all data in an Access db is essentially glommed together in one huge file (the .mdb), there are possibilities of rather strange data corruption. Secondly, it may be that your record corrupted in such a way that that one particular field got interpreted by Access as something "funky." Friend of mine had a somewhat similar situation: Particular field COULD be intrepreted as a Unicode character (non-AngloSaxon character set construction), and that caused things to burp. Okay, it caused things to do MORE than burp, but, you can get the picture.

To solve this in the future, I'd recommend having a brief refresher course for your users on what are good vs. bad entry practices, and compact/repair your database on at least a weekly basis.

Good luck, and HTH (y)

P

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziMacca

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back