Why three sheets?

Shinano

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Does anybody know why Excel workbooks open with 3 sheets as the standard? I googled it, but did not find an answer.

Is there any of you out there that happen to know?

Regards,

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I can't tell you why, but I can tell you how to change it (in xl2003):

Tools > Options > General (tab) > Sheets in new workbook:

Thanks for the reply, Jon, I appreciate it.

I know how to change it, but thanks anyway. Your advice is always appreciated.

I am just puzzled by the number three, as a start up standard. I mean why not just one, or ten for that matter?

Anyway, discussing it with a coworker some time ago, it came to me that often three is actually the number of sheets that one will end up using.

One sheet for raw data.

One sheet for data manipulation.

One sheet for presentation of the result.

Does this make sense?

It may be an idealistic way of thinking, when considering how Excel is often handled by the average user. But, this what I came up with.

Anybody else with an idea, comment or knowledge on this one?

Thank you very much in advance.

One reason that it is more than one, could be to show novice users that it is possible to have more than one.
If it only gave you one sheet, I suspect many people would never progress beyond single sheet workbooks.

Having said that, I have set mine to 1 by default, and prefer to add sheets as I need them. It always seems to me a bit "wasteful" to receive a spreadsheet from someone else that contains a few entries on sheet 1, and then empty sheets 2 and 3. It can also be a little time consuming, if you have to check them to see if there is anything on them.

One reason that it is more than one, could be to show novice users that it is possible to have more than one.
If it only gave you one sheet, I suspect many people would never progress beyond single sheet workbooks.

Having said that, I have set mine to 1 by default, and prefer to add sheets as I need them. It always seems to me a bit "wasteful" to receive a spreadsheet from someone else that contains a few entries on sheet 1, and then empty sheets 2 and 3. It can also be a little time consuming, if you have to check them to see if there is anything on them.
I agree with Gerald and also have mine set to one.

At least things have improved... My recollection is that some years ago (Excel 97??), the default was 16! Boy, did we have a lot of empty sheets hanging around wasting space then. :eek2:

Peter

I really don't think that's right.:)

The first time I used Excel, and it was the 97 version, the default number of sheets was 3.

Peter

I really don't think that's right.:)

The first time I used Excel, and it was the 97 version, the default number of sheets was 3.
Could it have been Microsoft Works before that?

Peter

I honestly don't know.:)

I've only 'worked' with Works when I've bought a new computer.

And that's for about 5 minutes and I just install Excel and use that.

Mind you on this computer I think it's still installed, I think I'll have a shifty though.

Normally I'd remove it, but I don't think I bothered this time - lazy b.

Just found it - opens up with just 1 sheet and I'm still looking for an option for number of sheets in a new workbook.

Also found OpenOffice.org Calc, don't know why I installed it in the first place.:)

Anways, that also defaults to 3 sheets but, again, i can't find an option to change that.

I think I might need to 'clean' up the machine, seems like I've got a lot of redundant stuff on it.:)

Hmmm if I recall correctly works doesn't allow more than one sheet to a file.

cheap shot: For some reason everytime I see "Microsoft Works" I just want to shout "It does not!"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back