Why does this happen.....

Gemini32

Board Regular
Hi Everyone

I'm working on a work order that holds information of our company, customers info etc....part of the design looks like this

QUAN. UNIT(EA.) PRICE HST(SALESTAX) TOTAL
1 $50.00 $50.00 $7.50 $57.50
with
a markup of either10%,15%,20%,25%,30%, on the unitprice (that is what the 1.1 = 10% when multipling with the unitprice down below in the example of the build expression)

In access query I go into the design view to build the expression for the above information works fine without the markup onto the expression...But I would like to have the price column taken out and have it go like this ....

build expression for the unit price look like this ....
Expr1: [QUANITY]*[UNITPRICE]*1.1

build expression for the HST to look like this ....
Expr2: [UNITPRICE]*1.1*0.15

build expression for the Total to look like this....

Expr3: [HST]+[UNITPRICE]*1.1

But when I build expression for the three examples above it doesn't allow me to type in them after I run the query ...I'm even willing to build 5 different query tables for the different markup's if I can figure out how to make the above expressions work for me correctly...Please help me because this is very fraustrating to me for I'm building this for my business database....I hope I gave enough information to be able to figure an answer to this question ...I love working with problems and equations and numbers in general but I'm growing older and greyer by the minute and that feeling of frustrations is not a good thing so if ANYONE out there can PLEASEEEEEEE help me...I'd appreciate it very much......Gemini32

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
As best as I can understand your problem, you're attempting to select certain records and update the prices in these records by a certain amount. If this is true, then you need to write a Select query which will capture all of the records that you want to update by a certain amount. After doing so, you need to change the Select query to an update query (just go into Queries on the tool bar and select Update Query). In the Update To Field, write [Unit Price]*1.1 (or whatever amount you want to increment. Unless you're familiar with manipulating SQL statements, you'll have to write 5 separate queries to accomplish 5 separate updates.

Upvote 0
Hi Dugantrain

Oh my gosh you just saved me from certain doom...hahaha...THANK YOU SO MUCH....I'm going right now to do that....AGAIN I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH....HAVE A GREAT AND WONDERFUL VALENTINES DAY.....THANK YOU...Gemini32

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MNexcelguy19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back