Why does FREE not mean free?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Any situational context that gave rise to the question ?

Of course "free" still holds that theoretical connotation, but just now for fun, looking at my unabridged dictionary, there are 49 definitions for "free", the primary one being
"enjoying personal rights and liberty, as a person who is not in slavery: a land of free people."

Down to the eleventh definition (I'd have anticipated a higher relevance placement)
"provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment."

Then there are the dozens of terms having the "free" prefix, example free ride, free will, etc.

And philosophically getting back to the theoretcial reference, one can say there is nothing truly free, as any commodity, substance, or favor comes at some price, either at the expense of time, monetary or sentimental value, the use of space, or depletion of resources.

Technically "free" does indeed still mean exactly what you describe, Aladin. But frequently, especially online, "free" means "we won't bill you immediately and -- if you decide to cancel, we won't ever bill you -- but we want your credit card number in case you decide you like it (or forget to cancel)". And there are some companies that make it very difficult to actually cancel.

Like Tom, I am curious as to the particular situation that provoked your query.

Technically "free" does indeed still mean exactly what you describe, Aladin. But frequently, especially online, "free" means "we won't bill you immediately and -- if you decide to cancel, we won't ever bill you -- but we want your credit card number in case you decide you like it (or forget to cancel)". And there are some companies that make it very difficult to actually cancel.

Like Tom, I am curious as to the particular situation that provoked your query.

Exactly in the situation you describe. The thing is: When is the meaning you refer to crept in for it's hard to find/to believe there can be things which are gratis like a spyware program, etc.?

Slightly off-track but this reminds me of the classic line of trying to gain entry

"If you give me £10, I will let you get in for free!"

I quite like the (really) free version of AVG alongside free version of Adaware... am presuming these are not the ones you're talking of Aladin ?

@VoG II: you use free, gratis and for nothing as if they are synonyms, I beg to differ.
An example to make my point: I went to school for free, you went to school for nothing :rofl::rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back