Why aren't attachments allowed?

apo

HI..

Firstly.. no disrespect to this board, in any way, for questioning the policies.. but i have to ask (and put forward my obligatory arguments)..

Why are Attachments Not allowed/enabled? i know they are Not allowed (that much is obvious).. but.. What is the reasoning behind this?

I can see that from a "Help-ee" point of view.. it is better to 'allow/force?' members to re create any given scenario.. that forces them to actually apply the given code to a problem and perhaps learn something from it..

But.. to be honest.. and maybe i am missing something here... but isn't it so much easier to help someone quickly ( and then move onto the next problem)... if a basic excel file is attached (saves us the time of re creating the Workbook structure)..

Is it a issue of bandwidth/storage?.. i doubt it as most Excel files are a few hundred k at most..

If some one could enlighten me on this.. I would be very great full.. as have quite often wondered this.. and honestly think that if this policy was changed.. the Mr Excel board would be even better.. :)

This topic has been discussed many times in the past before, so in the interest of not beating a dead horse any more than it already has been, the short answer is bandwidth, security issues, and forcing people to actually articulate their questions (instead of just posting attachments and saying "fix this").
If you are interested in reading more about past discussions, just Search this "About This Board" forum for "attachments".

Note that there are tools that allow you to post screen prints: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html

Thanks for the reply Joe4..

Totally understand this one..

and forcing people to actually articulate their questions (instead of just posting attachments and saying "fix this").

Although.. bandwidth.. (we all got bills to pay).. and security issues (use at own risk)... to me.. are a not quite as strong argument.. (but not mine to argue...).

I think the part i quoted from your reply (to me) is the most convincing reason... :)

I agree on your direction towards addins like Excel Jeanie... great feature i must say..

Thanks for the clarification..

Last edited:
Although.. bandwidth.. (we all got bills to pay).. and security issues (use at own risk)
Bandwidth IS a big issue. If you have been on the board recently, you have probably noticed slow performance. Adding file attachments would contribute to slowing performance even more.
Cost is a big issue in upgrading bandwidth. Some people in the past have suggested making this a "paid" site, where members have to pay to join. Then there would be more money to upgrade bandwidth, look at using other more expensive products, etc.
But we are very committed to keeping this a FREE site for members to use. So there is a trade-off there...

Yeah.. i don't think a 'paid' site would go so well... at least from a board community point of view..

Here's a crazy idea.. make every one who joins pass an "Excel Jeanie/ Mr Excel HTML Maker" aptitude test.. :)

Thanks again for the feedback..

Here's a crazy idea.. make every one who joins pass an "Excel Jeanie/ Mr Excel HTML Maker" aptitude test..
Not really feasible, as you would need to find a volunteer to be in charge of the testing.
Also, many places of employment (like my own), do not allow any downloads from the internet. So I cannot even use it myself from my present location.

Bottom line is that this topic has been thoroughly discussed many times over the years, and I really don't anticipate anything changing in the near future.

k.. thanks.. clear.. thank you for your time explaining it to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tdeulkar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back