Whooping Cough

Oorang

OK, so I have been reading about how Whooping cough is going around. One of the ways you can get it is for someone to cough on their hand, then you touch their hand. This is, of course, not an unusual way to get ill and it got me to thinking.
As the population increases it becomes easier and easier for illness to spread and propagate. And it doesn't slow things down that as a culture we've decided the best way to great strangers is by exchanging bacteria via a handshake.
Isn't it time that we admit that shaking hands is a really great way to say "Hi stranger, I trust that you washed after you went to the men's room." but maybe not the best way to stay well?
I'd like to start a cultural movement to replace the handshake as a greeting with a bow. Nothing big, a slight inclination of the waist and head. No drama needed, no bacteria exchanged.

Who's with me?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Just don't stand too close when bowing!

:banghead:

P.S. The Japanese (and may be others) have been doing this for years. Are they a healthier nation then?

Wot? And take away the pleasure of greeting ladies with a kiss on the cheek - or two, or three, or four, depending where in Europe you come from.

And if you're in the Middle East, you greet men with an embrace and a kiss on the cheek - or two, or three, or four....

Just remember, it's not the cough that'll carry you off, it's the coffin they'll carry you off in.

I wouldn't normally link to the Torygraph but I knew I had heard about this somewhere. I am all for kissing, not handshaking. Yeah.

Also I remembered this video (if you know Torchwood you will get the title) but if not it is still quite funny (as really it has nothing to do with Torchwood.)

I'm uncomfortable with the kissing thing, even the french-air kiss, which has no contact, makes me squeamish. It seems to invade my personal space, but the handshake maintains my personal air space. But that's how I get sick. :-(

How about an air-handshake, or we all go round tipping hats?

I suffer from a bad neck so I'm not sure I want to do any of this nodding / bowing business... why not a simple wink ?

Better yet - for those of familiar with them -- how about "shaking one's tic-tacs!" ?

(and for those not familiar that will seem a very intriguing concept...;-))

Kissing ? In public ? It's just not right !
Before you know it people will want to be hold hands and everything !

If you really want to consider how germs are spread, blame Money.

For instance, go into a food shop where they make sandwiches, then take cash and make change them make more sandwiches.

The ones that have dedicated staff to make, and the use aseptic techniques to prepare, wear disposable gloves, clean and wash often, wear hair nets and never touch out door clothes, and separate sales persons, often cost a lot more, but can you be sure they are germ free.

Germ exposure improves your immune system, its only when you are really run down that it becomes a life threatening issue.

Just don't stand too close when bowing!

:banghead:

P.S. The Japanese (and may be others) have been doing this for years. Are they a healthier nation then?

Ever travelled on a Japanese train system where most wear face masks?

And if you're in the Middle East, you greet men with an embrace and a kiss on the cheek - or two, or three, or four....
You mean I'd be obligated to give Richard a kiss (or 4) next time we go for a beer? Pucker up Rich!!! :biggrin:

Tipping hats - now that's classy! :)

Tipping hats - now that's classy! :smile:

...but rather depends on actually wearing a hat I feel.
It might look a tad silly with a basecap or nothing at all. Couldn't we just agree on a crisp military style salute?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back