When you start to solve a post and then get stuck

liveinhope

I'm newish to the form - enjoying learning from those who know more about someting than I do And I like to contribute back in return which I have been doing.

But a couple of times I have got "stuck" and unable to fully solve the problem . A couple of questions about what to do

scenario 1 - I got part way thru the problem from a user (call them "first poster". Couldnt figure out how to do the last part. (trimming repeated characters other than blanks. ) I wanted to know how to do this not just to answer the thread but it would also be useful for my own so I raised a new thread and got an answer back from another poster I think it was MikeErikson . Before I answer "first poster" how should I acknowledge "another poster" - should just acknowedge to that certsin part of my answer is by courtesy of
another poster" or do I need to pm "another poster" . One thing I wont do is post the answer as all-my own work

scenario 2 - post in progress . Based on the original post I thought I could solve the problem . However user has added more details which look to me like it needa a VBA solution .
In any case I'm stuck . I'm the only respondent - there could be other viewers but of course I have no idea who they are. When this happens to you either as the poster or only respondent what is the best way to aks other posters to get involved again

I definitely agree with you about learning. When I browse forums like this one, I usually look for questions that are challenging but sound like something I can do.

In the first scenario, it's better not to reply at all. While a partial answer can be helpful, here's the rationale: I'm one of the users that looks for unanswered threads. If you post your incomplete answer, some other users who potentially have the full solution will not see the post - because it already has a reply, therefore no longer unanswered. As a result, the OP (original poster) has lower chances of getting a solution. On my end, if I can't get to a solution all the way, I generally move on. Many times I save the problem to work out on my free time, much in the same way some people solve crossword puzzles or sudokus, but my own ambition is no reason to hinder the OP's ability to get a good solution.

In the second scenario, you're describing a situation where the OP did not post the complete problem constraints or solution requirements outright. Sometimes the shortcoming is fairly obvious, and you can ask a follow-up question to clarify what exactly they're trying to achieve. Other times, I would say it's the OP's fault for not stating the problem fully. I will say that many users resort to VBA (or request a VBA solution) where one is not really necessary. But here's an analogy of some of these situations:

OP: "I would like to drive a nail into a wooden board."
You: "Take a hammer, point the nail at the board, hit the nail on the head with the hammer until it is in the board to your required depth."
OP: "Sorry, my employer does not allow hammers on the premises. Any other ideas?"
You: "You can use any blunt object that is harder than the nail to do the same thing."
OP: "Our insurance policy prohibits blunt objects to be use for anything other than their designated purpose. How else can I do it?"
You: "Well, you can take the nail, and slowly pry at the board until there is a hole big enough to insert the nail through."
OP: "Unfortunately I have a medical condition that precludes me from exerting that kind of pressure with my wrists."
You: "How about using a nail gun?"
OP: "That's actually a good idea, but we don't have electricity in the building."
You: "If you have a vortex magnet mechanism, apply it on the opposite side of the board until the nail naturally cuts through the board."
OP: "Yeah, I thought about that too, but these nails are plastic, so vortex magnets are out of the question."

You just spent 5 post cycles coming up with a solution, only to find that each one is not an option. These limitations should have been stated as part of the original inquiry. Also, when the OP rules out every reasonable way you can think of to solve the problem, it's very possible that they're simply not in a position to get the problem solved. Sometimes, you just can't help a user, no matter how much you would like to.

Last edited:
the scenarios werent so much that I only had a partial answer right from the word go or that that the OP kept raising objections to solutions proposed

more of a case that the OP didnt give all the info needed in the first post . as I asked questions to clarify I realised I couldnt answer the revised question

On one question I knew that if I could figure out how to something like TRIM(a2) but trimming out repeated commas instead of repeated. Now, thanks to another user, I know how to solve Op's question.
Which I would like to do .. but I don't want to do that without properly acknowledging that other user ...

In the 2nd example now that the user has answered my questions about his request I realise it's much more complicated than at first thought
(would it help to know the threads I am talking about)

Ok
example 1 . Thread topic "storerooms with inventory" (not sure how to post this a a link)

I got as far as a formula

Try again I accidentally posted the last post way too soon then didnt finish the edit in time

I'll just deal this example 1 and another post re the2nd example

. I have not posted either the original or revised solution yet
- Thread "storerooms with inventory" . My first formula (to go in col H) was =CONCATENATE(B3,",",C3,",",D3,",",E3,",",F3,",",G3) . Then when I looked at the data and thought about the extra commnas resulting from extra commas I decided it didnt look very good eg ,,CONDORSTORE,FALCONSTORE,, I posted a new thread "function like TRIM for other than spaces" answer by mikerickson and based on this response version 2 of formula is =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(CONCATENATE(B2,",",C2,",",D2,",",E2,",",F2,",",G2), " ", "~"), ",", " ")), " ", ","), "~", " ") resulting string with no leading commas, trailing commas and no multiple commas looks much better

I have no intention of posting the 2nd version of the formula as all my own work.

I was thinking of posting both versions and a note "the second version of this formula which strips leading,trailing and extra commas is thanks to the help of mikerickson "

What is the correctboard etiquette here
thanks

was

I was thinking of posting both versions and a note "the second version of this formula which strips leading,trailing and extra commas is thanks to the help of mikerickson "
I would do exactly that - just acknowledge / says thanks for the help from mikerickson. If you borrow a solution from another web page or site it can also be good to provide a link to where you found the answer.

Regarding partial solutions, On some occasions I have posted partial solutions if I think they are significant progress, even if they don't completely solve a problem, especially if the problem seems "stuck" and there are no further replies. I would just state clearly that "I have a solution to the first part of the problem, but I don't know what to do about the second part." However, I might wait a bit if my partial solution would be the first and only reply, to see if someone else jumps in with a full solution first.

Note:
more of a case that the OP didnt give all the info needed in the first post . as I asked questions to clarify I realised I couldnt answer the revised question
Sometimes you just have to say "sorry, I don't think I have an answer on this one." Even I have done that before, when I realize I cannot be of further help.

You: "If you have a vortex magnet mechanism, apply it on the opposite side of the board until the nail naturally cuts through the board."
OP: "Yeah, I thought about that too, but these nails are plastic, so vortex magnets are out of the question."
@ iliace: too bad the nails are plastic - I thought that would work too! :cool:

Last edited:
thanks for the advise re acknowledging another poster's contribution _ will now post my response to "my" oriignal OP and acknowledge mikerickson's contribution

really enjoy this board and I dont want to get anyone offside

I have, on a few threads, posted a particial answer, and stated that. I have found that sometimes I have 1/2 the answer, but cannot see my way through the 2nd part, and another member has the 2nd part, but is having a hard time on the 1st part - colaboration rules (sp?)!! lol

I take the point that adding a 1/2 answer *may* preculde other members from responding to a "new" thread, but not all take that approach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmix803

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back