Whats the worst joke you ever played on yourself?

JazzSP8

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

Heh .. Someone came to me today with a spreadsheet I created about two years ago, it's worked great for them and it was a simple job at the time...

Anyways, as things do, they changed .. So, they asked me to make some amendments to which I said "No probs"...

That was till I hit ALT & F11 .. Turns out, I had been in a mischieveous mood.

I had, at some point (and I think a cue from this board) decided it would be really 'funny' to name all my code with things like;

Sub Marine()
Sub MachineGun()
Sub Zero()
Sub Way()

I remember, it all made sense at the time, Sub Zero() took out all the 0 values, Sub MachineGun() took care of some other nasty data, Sub Marine() inserted rows and took them down... Etc...

MAN .. Did that bite me in @$$ .. Took me over an hour to work out the basic structure of what I did and why I did it.. (that doesn't count the bad coding)

I'm sure I found it amusing at the time... Just wondered if anyone had the same experience of wanting to take themselve's outside for a sound kicking... :laugh:

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Yes I found some code on the board here that reversed all the text in the menu's...

So as a practical joke I shoved it into a model that went around the department such that it would reverse all the text in the menu's.

I thought at the time that the fix would simply be to run the macro again - right? That way all menu's would read correctly.. Well nearly, but later people came back to me with their issues.

Protect Sheet / Workbook... This is what appears in the menu if it is NOT protected... Well this remained constant no matter what... This is when I learned about View -> Toolbars -> Customize -> Toolbars -> Reset.

So I suppose I can refer back to this as a learning experience...

:laugh:

I once went on a date with religous elementary school teacher. This did not go well... :eeek:

I once went on a date with religous elementary school teacher. This did not go well... :eeek:

Did you wake up in a bathtub full of ice and an open wound near your kidneys?

The VBA tricks I would play on myself was running variations of this type of code:

Code:
Public Sub main()

Do
    MsgBox "Hi"
  Loop

End Sub

1. Without saving my workbook before running the code.
2. Without knowing that CTRL+BREAK would stop the code executing without having to CTRL/ALT/DELETE and kill Excel.

Last edited:
Did you wake up in a bathtub full of ice and an open wound near your kidneys?

The VBA tricks I would play on myself was running variations of this type of code:

Code:
Public Sub main()

Do
    MsgBox "Hi"
  Loop

End Sub

1. Without saving my workbook before running the code.
2. Without knowing that CTRL+BREAK would stop the code executing without having to CTRL/ALT/DELETE and kill Excel.
duuuude, i knoooow.

I once brought in a book entitled "Your Plus-Sized Pregnancy" and left it sitting on my desk. I am known company-wide as the queen of bad dates. Needless to say, even the remotest branch whispered about my reading material within 15 minutes.

Another time I used "The Complete Guide to Psychiatric Drugs". Co-workers stayed away from me for weeks.

I suppose I played the joke on myself for my own amusement, but it gave me a laugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozdemr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back