What other little diversions do you have around your desk?

MrKowz

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Aside from using your computer, what other things do you have around your desk that you like to either tinker with or play with while you pretend to work? Be warned: easily amused people may lie ahead!:rofl:

I have a slinky that has given me hours of fun...

Also, I like to find paper clips and unfold them so they make a triangle with two parts overlapping a bit. Then i pull the paperclip open so it makes something that resembles a single layer of a spring. Carefully position the two arms so they are pressing against eachother, wanting to spring apart, and then drop it on the desk. It goes flying! Sometimes as high as 10 feet if you have a good enough paper clip!:laugh:

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I have a magnetic sculpture thingy, a wire puzzle and a daily dilbert calander, not to mention lurking in the lounge! These are among the top diversions...

Am a big fan of the paperclip trick also. Usually I try and direct its flight path to land in the next cube. Not all design engineers have a great sense of humor...pick your targets carefully.

Another good one is to find an older retractable pen and take it apart and insert the spring inbetween the two plastic components and then jam it back togerther with the ink tube, press the button on top, and presto, a little mini launcher!

Yeah - I have a slinky too.

Now I am in a job with a computer, procrastination is quite easy, so I don't have to be too creative. However back in the days when I worked in a camera shop (that never attracted any cutomers, and therefore went bust a couple of months back) we devised several ways to pass the time.

The favourite would be to get a plastic film canister, fill it with compressed air, leave it, and wait for it to explode. It would take a short time to do so, so you could be really lucky and have it blow its top just as the days customer walked in.

Then of course there was electrocuting yourself with dismantled disposeable cameras.

I have a couple stuffed animals, a tv and clay which I knead when pondering the logic of a macro. I also have a hammer.

Most of the time, though, I lurk in the lounge.

I have a several 3D puzzles that I occasionally play with, but my primary diversion is a set of juggling balls. I pick them up from time to time to get away from the contstant blare of back-lit letters on my retinas!

It's even more fun when a coworker picks the balls up off of the desk and I won't let them leave until they've at least attempted to juggle a bit!

I spin my mobile phone around. Whenever people buy a new mobile, they choose the one with the best screen, the best camera, some swish colours or something, but you should really be checking how smoothly it spins around when it's laying on the desk.

It's probably the most important feature of any phone, and helps get you through the day when no-one's actually calling you on it.

I used to have a great view between my screens of a rather lovely lass from HR admin but alas the whole section moved to the floor above on Monday. I have no other diversions and it's been a very long week!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GunsofBrixton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back