What is your Home Page or favorite news website?

Tom Urtis

MrExcel MVP
When you hop onto the net, what is your home page, the first website you have set your browser to see?

Over the years my home page has always been some type of international news site so I can see the national (United States) and world headlines before anything else. I am totally bored with mainstream news sites and am wondering where other people go for their news on line, especially if it is your home page.

I consider a good news website to be one that is not loaded with advertisements, and (good luck with this one) not biased to a conservative or liberal ideology, just matter-of-fact "here’s the news" presented in a common sense fashion that’s easy to navigate, and of course is accurate with its reporting. But maybe you have other criteria that have led you to some killer websites, so much the better.

So, what is your home page, and/or where do you go for your news on line? I’m hoping everyone who is reading this might learn of a cool news (or non-news interesting) website they’ve never heard of before, thanks to welcomed suggestions from whoever wants to tell us what diamond-in-the-rough news/cool websites you’ve discovered that you think get it right.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
My choice of news site is hardly interesting. I tend to browse the BBC news site, Sky news and Google news. I usually browse news.google.co.za to keep up to date with the news in South Africa (because that's where I'm from).

I like the BBC news site because everything loads quickly and it isn't cluttered with ads. But the content is questionable; the BBC are regularly cricised for not being impartial. This really peeved me: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/22/gaza-charity-appeal

I'm afraid my home page is just Google...

For alternative news I like to check out The Onion... for the real stuff, being in the UK, I tend to hit the BBC site as it also offers regional news content
(though where I am based this generally consists of what Farmer Giles is up to)

i use igoogle as my home page with new headlines from bbc news as one of the gadgets.

One of the other gadgets i have (and my favourite) has got to be random chuck norris facts. Did you know that chuck norris destroyed the periodic table as he only recognises the element of surprise..............lmao

about:blank :laugh:

Then I usually hit the shortcut for my webmail account and/or the one for mrexcel in a 2nd tab.

(When I log-out of my webmail account it takes me to a news website that is good enough for getting a quick overview anyway.)

iGoogle showing my e-mail, calendar, weather and a variety of different news gadgets (BBC, Reuters, Google News), and also a Chuck Norris Fact Generator on the main page along with other tabs with various stuff I rarely look at.

For news I tend to head straight for the BBC, they might not be 100% impartial but I still think they are one of the most trusted news sources out there and I love the layout and ease of navigation compared with most other news sites. If I want to browse stories on other news sites I will generally start with Google News and pick up the stories from there.

Dom

I have,

Google on IE, Gmail on Chrome and Mr Excel on my FF:biggrin:

I have several tabs; among them are Sydney Morning Herald and ABC (Australia).

I'm finding the SMH a bit intrusive now; video ads all over the shop. The ABC is a great resource. Move down the page and there are links to heaps of other sections. I go for a crawl when I get the time.

Also this Board; my site; and a couple of others.

Denis

Last edited:
My homepage at work is DrWhoogle which is essentially a stripped down version of Google with the Doctor Who logo. Allegedly it at least used to generate money for charity but I don't know if it still does. I find I use my google toolbar anyway.

At home I use chrome, and it opens on the 'most visited pages' page.

And I use the BBC for news, 99 times out of 100.

about:blank for me too, and news is always news.bbc.co.uk

At work it's IE6 and the cursed intranet, can't change it either so I installed Firefox :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back