What is wrong with this function?

bentley1

Board Regular
Code:
Age Group: Switch([Attained Age]<='50','<50',[Attained Age]>'50' And [Attained Age]<='55','51-55',[Attained Age]>'55' And [Attained 

Age]<='60','56-60',[Attained Age]>'60' And [Attained Age]<='65','61-65',[Attained Age]>'65' And [Attained Age]<='70','66-70',[Attained 

Age]>'70' And [Attained Age]<='75','71-75',[Attained Age]>'75' And [Attained Age]<='80','76-80',[Attained Age]>'80' And [Attained Age]

<='85','81-85',[Attained Age]>'85' And [Attained Age]<='100','85-100',[Attained Age]<'0' Or [Attained Age]>'100','>100')

For ages 0-85 it is fine, but for an age of 93 for example it goes into > 100 group. (I want it to go into 85-100).

btw I put below 0 in the >100 group and that is fine. Why are ages between 85-100 going to 100+?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
btw this code works
Code:
IIf([Attained Age] >= 100, ">100",IIf([Attained Age] >= 85, "86-100", 
IIf([Attained Age] >= 80, "81-85", 
IIf([Attained Age] >= 75, "76-80", 
IIf([Attained Age] >= 70, "71-75",
IIf([Attained Age] >= 65, "66-70",
IIf([Attained Age] >= 60, "61-65",
IIf([Attained Age] >= 55, "56-60",
IIf([Attained Age] >= 50, "51-55",
IIf([Attained Age] >= 0, "<50", "below 0 - error"))))))))))

but it switch faster?

Upvote 0
Try changing this

[Attained Age]<='50'

to this

[Attained Age]<=50

ie no single quotes.

You'll need to do the same with all the other values

Upvote 0
Personally, I would probably create a UDF for such a function. Much easier to read, maintain, and re-use.

Upvote 0
Personally, I would probably create a UDF for such a function. Much easier to read, maintain, and re-use.

like in VBA? This part of the query is a small part of a group of queries that get ran and I'm not sure if I would be able to do that haha

Upvote 0
like in <acronym title="visual basic for applications" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-top-style: initial; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-left-style: initial; border-top-color: initial; border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-left-color: initial; border-image: initial; cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">VBA</acronym>? This part of the query is a small part of a group of queries that get ran and I'm not sure if I would be able to do that haha
Yes, you can create your own functions in VBA that can be used like any other function in queries, forms, reports, etc.

Some of the advantages include:
- much easier to read and maintain (can structure it in a more readable form)
- easy to re-use

For example, let's say that you are currently using it as a Calculated field in three different queries. Now, let's say that you need to change it. You would need to change it in all three queries. Whereas, if it was UDF, you probably only need to change it in one place (the UDF).

Here is an article on it: VBA Tips: Build Custom Functions for Your Access Applications

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deasejm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back