What is to much

gdspeare

Board Regular
How many records can an Access table hold and still work relatively efficiently? In other words, at what point should you consider upgrading to a more powerful database program?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I would think that it depends what you are actually doing with your data, how you have it structured and where the database is located - network drive or local drive.

I've recently been working with >200,000 records and it became quite unwieldy and slow when using it on the network.

When transferred to the local drive (C:) then everything (queries, reports etc) speeded up considerably.

I think in the Access help files a size limit of about 1GB is mentioned when talking about upsizing.

Upvote 0
I agree with Norie - Access databases work much better when based locally and yes the limit is almost 1Gb per table for Access 2k and apparently 2Gb for Access XP & 2003. How many records you can fit into the main table will depend on how efficiently you structure your data. Although I have noticed Access chokes once you get to about 1m+ records. You can get around this limitation by archiving old records but retaining high level summary data in the main table for reporting purposes.
Andrew :)

Upvote 0
Yes, I believe 1 Gb is the upper file size limit before you need to upsize to an adp (which has a limit in the terrabytes). As andrew pointed out, your rganization can make a huge difference in performance. I have a couple dbs with millions of records and they do fine, just be efficient. Also, don't forget about Tools|Database Utilities|Compact and Repair. Thas can GREATLY reduce the size of your file, and thus improve it's performance.

Also, keep on top of your data types (and field sizes - a field for a middle initial does not need to be 50 characters, for example). Finally, index foreign keys when possible.

Also, as andrew mentioned, performance across a network will be way slower.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back