What is the next best book

mnordeen

Board Regular
hello,
I started visiting this site a couple of years ago, I bought "VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel". It has advanced me more in one year than 6 years of playing with Excel. Well it is a two eaged sword now everyone in my company assumes I am an expert:-?
little do they know alot of there questions I bring strait to this board.:biggrin:

I can at this point figure alot out but I want to understand how to write the codes from scratch, what would be a good next book for me. I prefer something like reference becouse I dont have the attention span to read the whole book cover to cover.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Personally, I like John Walkenbach's Power Programming with Excel VBA.

On Amazon, or see: www.j-walk.com
Now, who are you going to believe? Someone who has a Calvin AND Hobbes avatar, or someone who just has Calvin?

Actually, I have heard very good things about that book too.

(hey Smitty!)

ok, I wasn't going to say anything but..
I bunch of my mods slamming me!!! suggesting OTHER books.
VBA & Macros is all you need! :-P

On a serious note - I'm amused you find it to be a beginner only book since the harshest criticism we've received is that it's not easy enough for beginners. Which is wrong since it IS aimed at beginners, but it's also good for intermediate. Advanced may find it useful for the objects they're not so comfy in. The book should really help you WRITE your own macros from scratch. Now - if you're more example oriented - the example CDs are gold! What's it at now? 2900 Examples? I actually got my feet wet editing the original CD for Bill. My first project for him, I took an example from that CD (Sheet_Change event, I believe) and tweaked it. And that's really the way to start - you take existing programs and modify them. Then, eventually, you might be too lazy to find an existing and write your own.

As for the Wrox books.. I can't agree. I tried learning from one of those some time ago and never got past the first 10 pages.. The text was so lectury! And I had a minor in programming.. not the best programmer, but I knew OO programming and couldn't make heads or tails of what I was reading.

As for John - I gotta admit I've never read his stuff, but I have so much respect for him (shhhhh) - it might be worth checking out. But in the end - it depends on your true need and learning style.

Suggestion - go to your local bookstore and browse the shelves.

As for the Wrox books.. I can't agree. I tried learning from one of those some time ago and never got past the first 10 pages.. The text was so lectury! And I had a minor in programming.. not the best programmer, but I knew OO programming and couldn't make heads or tails of what I was reading.
Well, there you go Tracy. You had a minor in programming. I had no computer degrees at all when I bought it! LOL.

I actually bought the book before I was aware of Bill's books. I am sure Bill's books are great. Having a little bit of knowledge with macros and some basic VBA before purchasing the book, I had no problems with it (I actually like Wrox's Access 2000 VBA book even better than the Excel one).

But as you were alluding to, it really is a matter of personal preference, and learning styles. What works well for one person may not work well for another.

I always drum up Bill's books over others, but since I've never read the VBA book, but have the Walkenbach that's my frame of reference.

Besides, Bill once pointed me to John as a training resource for my folks in San Diego. :)

As for the WROX stuff I have a few titles at home, but haven't really gotten into them. They seem to be a fairly technical publisher though.

Well, I suggest you go buy a copy of my book (the 2007 version is my favorite)! I worked real hard on it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baldred

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back