What is the max number of users access can support ?

Liz_I3

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
What is the max number of usere you should have on access at a time? What is the recomended number and what is the safest number?

thanks liz

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hi,

The theoretical maximum is 255. There is no real recommended number because it depends on many different factors eg

• *Network efficiency/Hardware quality
    *Software performance
    *If the data is being viewed, or updated (the latter will place more strain on the db.
    *How well the database was set up

This is by no means an exhautive list. I've ran 20 users and performance was OK. I've seen a database fall over with 3 users (various factors) and I've heard of 200 users using a database without problem.

Sorry if that doesn't help you :confused:

How many users are you expecting?

Upvote 0
Thanks Dan, this does help. We are running access with less than 10 usere at any given time. Some of the big bosses are not keen on running access with mutli users, but our db is small and kept at approx. 2800 records. I believe SQL server 2000 maybe an over kill.

thanks for your help
Liz

Upvote 0
Yeah, according to your set-up and needs, Access should run like a champ. However, I'm running into serious problems with my current db; it contains 100,000+ records. It was used in a shared environment for a while (3 or 4 users), but it has gotten to the point where if even 2 users at a time are in it, it will crash. I've recommended an upgrade to SQL Server, but the project is only going to be going on for another month, so we have to make-do with what we have.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sukhman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back