What happened to the "fav lines" thread?

MrKowz

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I just noticed that the favorite-lines-in-posts thread is gone. I take it that some posts got out of hand?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Yes.

There is a fine line between good-natured fun, and poking fun at certain members/posts. We had received some complaints, so figured it was best to remove those threads.

We ask that members refrain from anything that might belittle other members. I might be putting out a Sticky sometime later this week with a little more direction/guidelines, but have not had a chance to do it yet.

Thanks for the update :biggrin:

As Gandalf said
"The courtesy of your halls is somewhat lessened of late"

As Gandalf said
"The courtesy of your halls is somewhat lessened of late"
This is something we take very seriously. One of our main goals is to provide a friendly, courteous board where users can receive free help with Excel and Access. When offenses arise, we try to act swiftly and decisively.

At the same time, we try to allow a casual, relaxed atmosphere, which is one of the reasons why we even have a "Lounge" in the first place. At times, it can be tricky to balance the two. We like for people to have fun - just not at anyone else's expense.

BTW, the Sticky is out there now:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512003

I know, and I fully support the efforts here in that regard. I love this place,
if you recall, I requested my own thread to be removed for good of the board recently.

Good work by the way. :beerchug:

EDIT: Good sticky. Well said.

Last edited:
Aw. Would you believe I was actually counting on that thread to give me valuable information.

It was giving a fascinating insight into do's and don'ts.

Admittedly I was and am going to try a thread to capture that information in a more structured, and dare I say it scientific way anyway, but I would always look at it with interest when it updated.

Speaking of favorite posts, I found my new favorite.

Yesterday I did a Google search for a solution to a particular problem I was facing, and of course my search string was limited to MrExcel posts. I came across a VERY entertaining (and also very old) post. I won't share the link for fear of overstepping the rules of etiquette, but here's how the post went:

Original poster requested help on a formula. The first responder (a very prolific and respected MrExcel poster) offered up a solution. A second responder offered an alternative solution. A third responder pointed out the flaws in the second responder's post. The second responder replied, said the same flaw was in the first response.
Then it got fun...
The second responder took a cheap shot at third responder. Third responder retaliated with a similar cheap shot (told second responder to go back and learn Excel 101). First responder joined in the attack on second responder. And on it went. It doesn't translate here very well, but I thought the whole post was hilarious.

Anyway, I know it's not going to happen, but it would be endlessly entertaining see people let go once in a while.

"You call that a formula??? I could write a better formula on an abacus!"

Unfortunately, the post didn't provide a solution to my original problem. ;)

Rick

@snowblizz
perhaps you could organise that at a certain number of posts, members receive an email survey that might help your research. if your research is actually legitamate, many here who are from the academia will be glad to help, im sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back