What formula to use to parse this text column into usable columns for Google Sheets

geperi

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have the following text string: {"CAD":1.404,"EUR":0.925,"MXN":25.103,"USD":1,"SGD":1.433,"AUD":1.649,"GBP":0.813}
and I'd like to parse it so that it shows up in a few columns, like this:
CAD1.404EUR0.925MXN25.103USD1SGD1.433AUD1.649GBP?0.813
What would be the simplest way to achieve this?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
I'm actually working on google sheets for now. can it be done there?

Upvote 0
In future when asking questions for Google Sheets you need to make that clear (preferably in the title) & such questions should be posted to the General Discussion & Other Applications section of the board.
I have done that for you this time.

You could have a look at the Split function, but I have no idea how it works.

Upvote 0
Would have been nice to mention that this was for Google Sheets BEFORE I spend a half hour on TWO SOLUTIONS!
Do a google search for "Google Sheets Boards".
:mad::mad::mad:

This was particularly difficult. First option is to use Power Query. Here's the code:
Power Query:
let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
ReplacedLeftCurly = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,"{","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
ReplacedRightCurly = Table.ReplaceValue(ReplacedLeftCurly,"}","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
ReplacedDoubleQuotes = Table.ReplaceValue(ReplacedRightCurly,"""","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
SplitColumnByColon = Table.SplitColumn(ReplacedDoubleQuotes, "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(":", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3", "Column1.4", "Column1.5", "Column1.6", "Column1.7", "Column1.8"}),
TransposedTable = Table.Transpose(SplitColumnByColon),
SplitColumnByComma = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(TransposedTable, {{"Column1", type text}}, "en-US"), {{"Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Column1"),
TransposedTable1 = Table.Transpose(SplitColumnByComma),
ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(TransposedTable1,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type number}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type number}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type number}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", Int64.Type}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type number}, {"Column11", type text}, {"Column12", type number}, {"Column13", type text}, {"Column14", type number}})
in
ChangedType
Code:

The second option is using Excel (MS 365) functions:

{"CAD":1.404,"EUR":0.925,"MXN":25.103,"USD":1,"SGD":1.433,"AUD":1.649,"GBP":0.813}
Formula in B2: =SUBSTITUTE(B1,"{","")"CAD":1.404,"EUR":0.925,"MXN":25.103,"USD":1,"SGD":1.433,"AUD":1.649,"GBP":0.813}
Formula in B3: =SUBSTITUTE(B2,"}","")"CAD":1.404,"EUR":0.925,"MXN":25.103,"USD":1,"SGD":1.433,"AUD":1.649,"GBP":0.813
Formula in B4: =SUBSTITUTE(B3,"""","")CAD:1.404,EUR:0.925,MXN:25.103,USD:1,SGD:1.433,AUD:1.649,GBP:0.813
Formula in B5: =TEXTJOIN("~",,SUBSTITUTE(TEXTSPLIT(B4,",",,,,"~"),":","~"))CAD~1.404~EUR~0.925~MXN~25.103~USD~1~SGD~1.433~AUD~1.649~GBP~0.813
Formula in B6: =TEXTSPLIT(B5,"~")CAD1.404EUR0.925MXN25.103USD1SGD1.433AUD1.649GBP0.813

Hope that helps anyone that comes across this. Maybe it will give you some idea of how to proceed using Sheets.
And yes, all of those Excel Formulas could be rolled into a single cell or LAMBDA, especially if this is an ongoing thing.

Upvote 0
For reference in Excel you could simply have used
Excel Formula:
=TEXTSPLIT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"""",""),{",",":","{","}"},,1)

Upvote 0
For reference in Excel you could simply have used
Excel Formula:
=TEXTSPLIT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"""",""),{",",":","{","}"},,1)
Nice going! Tried to use the trick of defining columns within {} but wasn't getting it to work. I knew there had to be a way!

BTW, geperi, I did try to import the Excel file into Sheets to see if there was something comparable. I did find a SPLIT function, but didn't handle the array of splits like TEXTSPLIT and would need further steps or more SPLITs within the formula to break it up the way Excel did.

Upvote 0
Sorry about the hassle - haven't been around in ages, and just realized that I can easily add my excel info on here. I upgraded from sheets back to microsoft excel 365 (for MAC).
I tried the Textsplit formula mentioned by Fluff above, but it only spits out the first word ("CAD") and nothing else. What am I missing?

Upvote 0
I tried to edit to add this but was not able to:
I am not just trying to get CAD. I am trying to get CAD and all the other values, in the following columns. And sometimes the values are 3 digits, sometimes more digits (the numbers next to the currencies)
I believe easiest could be to use Data -> Text to column function in Excel - are you familiar with what parameters I should choose there?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The formula works fine for me on a Mac.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sukhman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back