What do I look for?

SuperFerret

Seeing as a lot of people recently have been discussing jobs and getting new ones, or progressing in their current job so I thought I'd ask my question.

I've been looking for a new job for months, hoping to find 'the perfect job' while I already have a job, but I'm not entirely sure what sort of job titles/keywords I should be typing into the various sites.

I'm originally an Administrator, with history in distribution, finance and now wholesale, and have slowly built up my skills in MS Office, now working to an 'Advanced' level in Word, Excel and Access and trying to work towards some MOS qualifications. I've also recently done a course to learn the SQL language and various SQL queries and am reading through a book on SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) as I've been told this is a good thing to learn.

I do want to do something more Excel/Access/SQL based but I honestly don't know where to begin looking and I thought, what better place to ask than MrExcel!

Thanks for looking and any advice would be appreciated

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi,

Jobserve are very good for IT related jobs (SAP, SQL, Programmers etc) - the best imo.

Also, get on as many agency books as possible - there's probably quite a few around Sheffield area, and I know there are loads in Manchester. Phone around several agencies and let them know what you are looking for (most agencies have partner agencies that might be more suited).

Search for "SQL jobs sheffield/any other area you want" in google, and look there - consolidation sites (jobserve, monster, trovit etc) are used by pretty much all agencies. If you find a job you like, even if you are underqualified, apply - that way you get your name out with the agency who is recruiting.

That's pretty much what I'm doing. I've seen a **** tonne of SQL related jobs on jobserve.

Either way, good luck with your search mate.

In the US, my job title is Data Analyst, but also falls under the same titles as system analyst and IT Business Analyst from what I have seen at companies around here.

Basically I do a lot of data mining using many different tools and languages. Mostly I am using SQL to pull data, but also have created some stuff in Excel using Vb and data connections to pull the data in. I get requests from people all throughout our company for data and then I gather it together and present it to them. We slice and dice it in many different ways depending on the needs.

One current project is looking at different ways we can allocate sales discounts to our customers and product lines and I have been running about 3 or 4 different models to see what we like best.

James, I'm currently signed up to Jobsite, Monster, Techjobs and a few smaller sites so I'll definitely give Jobserve a look! I have applied for quite a few jobs, even though many state must have experience which is something as yet I don't really have when it comes to SQL. I'll keep at it and get my name out there.

schielrn, I've looked at some Data Analyst jobs and even applied for a few, but never seem to get even a thanks but no thanks response (even changed up my CV a few times to see if that'd help). That sounds like the sort of thing I'm interested in, and I have been trying to bring more data management and analysis into my current role, but it seems I'm the only one interested in the actual data side. You've given me some good titles to search for, so I'll do some searching tonight.

Thanks both, appreciate your input :biggrin:

There's still no harm in applying for the *must* have type jobs lots of jobs that I have applied for, whilst not having exactly what they want, have invited me to an interview.

I wouldn't feel bad about applying for them, I've received lots of CVs from people who don't even have a single match to the job spec.

Even though you don't have working experience of SQL (using this as an example) then maybe write in your covering letter/tell the angencies something like:

"Although I have not used SQL in my career I have attended several courses and recently attained a qualification in SQL Awesomeness."

I'm sure you know this bit, but always ensure that you 'rejig' your career section of your CV to put the skills relevant to the job at the very top. Also, pump up your "Skills" section on your CV - make sure you put as much SQL stuff on there as possible.

Thanks James I will definitely try that! I have tried to 'spruce' my CV up a bit and always edit it to the job I'm applying for, so I'm glad I'm doing that right. Is it ok to embellish the amount I've actually done on SQL then? The lecturer on the last course said I was a natural lol (not trumpet blowing honest :laugh:)

One thing though, I was made redundant from a job in the middle of a serious slow period in the job market, and subsequently spent almost a year in a *shudder* call-centre, but now when I go on sites and enter my job history I get call after call about call centre jobs...which I do not want. Am I best to leave it off?

No don't leave it off! An employer will look at your CV and say "oh, hes been out of work for a year and not done anything" vs. "he was made redundant and found another job whilst he was looking for the right one".

I always get calls about jobs I am either not interested in, or am WAYYYY under qualified. Not sure how to go about stopping this, other than telling the agent you are not interested.

Is it ok to embellish the amount I've actually done on SQL then?

Of course! I wouldn't say "My lecturer thinks I'm awesomesauce" as you can't prove that, and it's not really helping you, but stuff like:

"Done courses, got qualifications, in my spare time I write stuff in SQL, I research SQL online, I help people on MrExcel.com" - full sentances obviously ;-)

No don't leave it off! An employer will look at your CV and say "oh, hes been out of work for a year and not done anything" vs. "he was made redundant and found another job whilst he was looking for the right one".

Yeah that makes sense

stuff like:
"Done courses, got qualifications, in my spare time I write stuff in SQL, I research SQL online, I help people on MrExcel.com" - full sentances obviously

Good idea, I have started to put on about different forums where I (at least attempt) to help people but I wasn't sure if that would be a good thing or not.

One last question, do you think it makes any difference that I'm female? I know places aren't supposed to, but I was helping out an IT department in a previous job and overheard a few of the guys saying they wouldn't want a woman in the team, so I wondered if some places did still hold that view.

It won't make any difference at all, employers get a royal bollocking (excuse the french) for discriminating nowadays. I wouldn't worry about that at all. If you do feel that way then raise it with ACAS.

I'm sure some people still feel that way, but they won't get very far in life and they don't deserve to have a job!

Just a thought, and I'm not sure what might be available in the UK in this vein...but are there any non-profit organizations (charities, schools, churches, etc.) that might need help organizing their data supported with a database and some SQL queries & reports? If you have the time available, it could give you real, although unpaid, experience, and there's nothing like a real project to improve your skill set.

It would also show initiative, creativity in a slow job market, and you'd be helping an organization that could really benefit from the help.
Regarding bias...I haven't experienced it here in California, but I suspect it's real in other companies or areas.

Cindy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Auroraaa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back